Climate Students, created in the summer of 2014, is a student-led group interested in facilitating research, education, and action on climate change at the University of Waterloo, in the community, and on the global stage.
The group is an evolution of the University of Waterloo Coalition for Sustainable Development (UWCSD) that was organized in 2013 to promote student participation and engagement at COP19 held in Warsaw, Poland.
Get involved with Climate Students:
1) Enhance the capacity of the University of Waterloo’s Interdisciplinary Centre on Climate Change (IC3).
2) Connect and engage students in innovative, tangible interdisciplinary activities related to climate change, both on and off-campus.
3) Encourage participation in local, national, and international climate change focused events and conferences which support our mission.
4) Facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration between students, academic institutions, government, and community organizations, in pursuit of joint research and action opportunities.
5) Co‐ordinate internal and external information exchange through public seminars, technical workshops, and other activities.
6) Host social events and activities open to all students and faculty to meet and interact with their peers.
History of Climate Students
The University of Waterloo Coalition for Sustainable Development (UWCSD)
The UWCSD served as a platform for University of Waterloo students to voice their opinions, raise awareness and take action for social, environmental and economic sustainability from September 2013 until August 2014.
In November 2013, the UWCSD supported a delegation of students and advisors who attended the COP19 UNFCCC Conference in Warsaw, Poland.
A Student Colloquium was organized yearly in 2009, 2010 and 2011 to showcase student research and raise awareness about climate change. The latter goal was emphasized in 2011 when the Colloquium was held as part of a larger effort to host a Climate Change Awareness week.