Test and develop your knowledge while exploring climate solutions
Illuminate is an educational simulation game where you learn about the impacts of climate change and explore ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) and respond to climate risks.
The Interdisciplinary Centre on Climate Change (IC3) at the University of Waterloo, in partnership with the Games Institute and a multi-disciplinary team of students, staff and faculty from across campus, developed Illuminate. The collaborators designed Illuminate to help players understand the science, the risks, and (most importantly) the solutions to climate change.
Illuminate is also available on the Climate Educator’s Portal, an educational platform designed to empower teachers across Canada to educate their students about climate change. The Climate Educator’s Portal is presented by Protect our Winters (POW) Canada and Hot Planets Cool Athletes (HPCA).
Illuminate aims to teach players about the impacts of climate change while inspiring hope and motivating Canadians to take action and find effective solutions that will help shape our future.
Funding for the development of this game was provided by the University of Waterloo’s Interdisciplinary Centre on Climate Change (IC3) and the Games Institute.
- Designer and Programmer: Adam Leung
- Artist and Narrator: Tina Chan
- Producers: Simon Glauser and Natalie Heldsinger, Interdisciplinary Centre on Climate Change (IC3), University of Waterloo
- Development Team: Pamela Maria Schmidt and Lillian A. Black, Games Institute, University of Waterloo
- Scientific Advisory Committee from the University of Waterloo: Daniel Scott, Juan Moreno-Cruz, Merrin Macrae, Alexandra Lesnikowski, Andrea Minano