The minimum requirements for admission to the MMath program (Computational Mathematics) normally include:
- A 4-year honours Bachelor's degree or its equivalent with specialization in some area of the mathematical, statistical and computer sciences. Note: graduates of other quantitative and mathematically oriented programs are also encouraged to apply; this includes, but is not restricted to, graduates of commerce, economics, engineering, finance, and any of the physical sciences. The CM graduate committee will determine the suitability of each applicant’s background for success in this program.
- An overall B+ (78%) average or its equivalent for undergraduate work.
- Three letters of reference, normally from academic sources.
- Proof of competency in English (if applicable). The minimum score for the Internet-Based TOEFL (iBT) is 90. The minimum score for IELTS (academic) is 7.0. Other tests are also accepted. See here for more information.
The application deadline is January 15th each year for both Canadian and International students, for September admission. Late applications will not be considered. Students who want to be considered for government scholarships (NSERC, OGS, ...) must apply to our programs by January 15th. Applications have to be done on-line.
Please apply on-line following the instructions on the University of Waterloo’s Graduate Application Procedures and Information page. Please visit the Graduate Studies Admissions Application Requirements page prior to completing your application. Your on-line application automatically includes application for TA and RA support, so it is not necessary to apply separately for these positions.
Required documents include:
- Transcripts: Upload scanned/electronic copies online.
- 3 Reference Letters: Completed electronically by your references on-line or via email. (You provide us with their email addresses on your online application, and we contact them to provide the letter).
- Supplementary Information Form: Complete form online. (Includes optional statement of interest).
- Resume: Upload scanned/electronic copy online.
- Language Test Scores (if applicable): Upload scanned/electronic copy online. (Also arrange for official copy to be sent to the University directly. You can use the University TOEFL code 0996 and Department TOEFL code 72).