We are excited to tell you more about the co-op position for developing web applications in CSCF (Computer Science Computing Facility).
We offer you the chance to work on real-world projects that make a real difference for our campus users.
Photo of former co-op Jamie Grove at her workstation. She is currently working at SNOLAB
Some CSCF co-op projects include
- a web application used to hire faculty members
- the exam management system used across campus to administer exams and assign seats
- the graduate admission system used across the Math Faculty
- our Inventory system, which integrates our equipment database with monitoring, campus DNS, and machine-room mapping
- we worked with Science Computing to help implement evaluate.uwaterloo.ca
CSCF Research staff (at left); Special Projects staff Isaac Morland and Daniel Allen (at right)
Who we are
- CSCF is 24 full-time staff in various technical roles to keep computing environments running for Computer Science
- Within CSCF, you'll be working in the group for "Research and Special Projects".
- We're hiring two co-ops, reporting to Daniel Allen, who is a technical manager and software developer.
- writing well-designed, testable, efficient code in one or more of (python, js, PHP) with SQL.
- you'll be adding, improving, fixing features in one or more projects
- may involve tracking down subtle bugs
- largely independent work
- depend on CSCF priorities for the term
- we will give you smaller projects at the beginning of term, with time to learn
- later in the term, we hope to have you working on larger pieces of the project
- we will support you proposing new project ideas that fit our priorities
Your work environment
- Likely this term you will be working from home along with the rest of CSCF.
- We will supply you with a workstation, your choice of Ubuntu or MacOS, and whatever other tools you need.
- If we're on-campus, you have a semi-private office in the Davis Centre, shared with the other web-developer co-op.
- We have a 7-hour work-day (not including lunch) and 35-hour work-week, with flexibility
- for example, let your supervisor know and you can take a day off and make up the time before or after
Collaboration and keeping in touch
- In general we have "core hours" that we are all available- 10am-3pm
- We use Microsoft Teams for remotely working together (chat, video meetings, screen-sharing)
- We document all our work in Request Tracker and git check-ins
- is set to to the annual co-op average for Math Faculty
|Work Term 1||Work Term 2||Work Term 3||Work Term 4||Work Term 5||Work Term 6|
|$ 19.34||$ 21.59||$ 24.11||$ 26.68||$ 28.23||$ 29.01|