Article originally posted on the Daily Bulletin on Thursday, January 21, 2021.
Helping students succeed in a challenging time
The Student Success Office is continuing to offer a breadth of online resources to support students throughout the winter term. We know that the ongoing pandemic has presented students with new challenges, and we’re committed to providing supports that address their unique needs.
- NEW - Students can drop-in to a Warrior Virtual Study Hall - a weekly supported study session. The sessions are facilitated by a Peer Success Coach to introduce new academic skills, help students create study goals and answer questions. The goal of this program is to facilitate academic skill development, community-building and peer-to-peer relationships.
- Students can book a one-on-one appointment with a Peer Success Coach for personalized support addressing academic challenges and creating a plan for success. Our coaches are upper-year students with experience overcoming their own study roadblocks.
- Students can attend the Making the Most of Online Learning workshop to prepare for a successful online term. A Peer Success Coach will discuss course resources, how to create a routine that works and setting up a study environment for success. Students can register in UWaterloo Portal for this workshop throughout January.
- Students can access Online Learning Resources to help them study more effectively.
- Students can use Tutor Connect to find a student tutor or list their services in UWaterloo Portal. The latest enhancements for Tutor Connect include: grade validation for all UG students, Grad users can now select any courses to tutor (up to a max of 100 courses) and antirequisites/compatible courses have been added.
- The Student Leadership Program has been updated to provide a more engaging experience for participants. The program now includes three major components: six core workshops, a 10-hour leadership experience and a reflection exercise. Students can register for workshops in UWaterloo Portal.
- Students can register for the Foundational Training Program for Peer Leaders in UWaterloo Portal to develop core skills for working in a peer-to-peer program at the University of Waterloo.
International student experience
- International student arrival supports like the Quarantine Warrior’s Support Group and International Travel Pre-departure Drop-ins are scheduled each week to support students who are planning to come to Canada.
- International Peer Community and Online Discussions continue to be offered to enhance the student experience from home.
- Immigration Info Sessions for international students to learn how to apply for and maintain their documents.