The Master of Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology (MBET) program is for entrepreneurial students who want to make things happen.
In MBET, students learn inside and outside the classroom. Networking, practical experience, and hands-on learning with like minded people in the Waterloo entrepreneurship community complement the core Master's-level courses inside the classroom.
Next info session: May 31, 5:30 pm, Toronto
What is the Master of Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology (MBET)?
- A graduate business degree for entrepreneurs which combines interdisciplinary courses with practical experiences in venture creation and commercialization.
- Full-time program is one year in duration
- Part-time program is three years in duration
Nine entrepreneurially-focused courses in:
- Finance and Accounting
- Strategic Management
- Business Leadership
- New Venture Creation
- Innovation Management
- Social Entrepreneurship and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Entrepreneurial Technology Applications
- Students are immersed in an experiential learning environment for which Waterloo is renowned
- Participate in a practicum project within Innovation Hubs in existing organizations where you can mobilize the development of new innovations
- Develop your own business ideas in Canada's #1 startup ecosystem at the Most Innovative University in Canada for 24 years running (Maclean's university rankings, 2015)
- Work directly with early-stage technology startups on the business side of their venture
Why an MBET at UWaterloo?
In the MBET program, students have access to a network of support in one of the most dynamic entrepreneurial and tech environments in Canada.
- Kitchener-Waterloo is home to 1000+ technology companies
- 500 new companies are emerging each year
- Home to Canada's largest:
- Tech company (BlackBerry)
- Software company (Open Text)
- Educational platform provider (D2L)
- Satellite company (ComDev)
- Visual technology display company (Christie Digital)
- Messaging company (Kik)
- Hackathon (Hack the North)
- The region's vibrant tech sector employs ~30,000 people
- Waterloo has one of the youngest populations in Canada
What makes MBET different?
The MBET is different than other graduate business degrees. Here's how:
- The "traditional" classroom setting is put aside in favour of a "startup culture" where ideas, failures, and goals are encouraged
- Small classrooms and class sizes make for an intimate, sharing, and supportive environment
- Classes are organized in workshop-mode, not lecture-mode, to promote self-learning
- Classroom setting is described as "conversational" rather than passive learning (the "startup culture")
- Learn by working side-by-side with industry leaders — not just through books and assignments
Are you right for MBET?
The MBET program is designed for bright, ambitious, creative, and curious team players who can demonstrate they have the passion and drive it takes to excel as an entrepreneur.
MBET students come from all academic disciplines including engineering, business, computer science, math, science, and the arts. The program provides the perfect platform to experience venture creation in its many forms.