Phone: 519-888-4567 x37165
Location: Accelerator Building 228
- PhD, Michigan State University
- MBA, University of Alberta
- BSc (Agriculture), McGill University
- Founding Director, Conrad Business, Entrepreneurship, and Technology Centre, 2004 - present
- Special Advisor to the President on Entrepreneurship, September 2013 - August 2015
Director, Emirates Centre for Entrepreneurship – Abu Dhabi Higher Colleges of Technology, 2006 - 2007
- Gordon H. Cowperthwaite Professor of Accounting, 1996 - present
- Director, School of Accounting and Finance, 1990 - 1991, and 1996 - 1997
Research interests and grants
Author of over 100 articles and monographs with primary interest in:
- Role of accounting tools and procedures in supporting SME’s
- Change management
- Activity and performance management systems
- US $1.6 million - Principal investigator, Virtual Incubation Program
- $120,000 - Mastercard Foundation Grant
- BET 605 - Essential Accounting for Entrepreneurs
Selected presentations and publications
- Armitage, H.M. and Alan Webb, “The Use of Management Accounting Techniques by Small and Medium Sized Enterprises: A Field Study of Canadian and Australian Practice,” Accounting Perspective, April 2016.
- Armitage, H.M. and Donna Ellis, “Assessing Innovation”, presented at STLHE Annual Conference, Sydney, Nova Scotia, June 21, 2013.
- Armitage, H.M. “From Thought to Thing – Commercializing your Idea”, keynote speech given to the Australian Institute for Innovative Materials (AIIMS), Feb 22, 2013.
- Armitage, H.M. “Teaching, Incubation and Innovation Strategy Suggestions for Illawarra” invited presentation to Regional Council and Business Leaders, Illawarra Region, sponsored by the Sydney Business School, held at Novotel, Wollongong, AU, Feb 12, 2013.
- Armitage, H.M. “Entrepreneurial & Experiential Learning: A Waterloo Perspective”, presentation to Innovative Change in Ontario’s College System Symposium, Toronto, ON, July 23, 2012
- Armitage, H.M. “The Canadian Entrepreneurship Scorecard”, one of four invited speakers to address to address Industry Canada’s Small Business and Entrepreneurship Task Force, Toronto, ON, Nov 21, 2011.
- Armitage, H.M. “Innovations in Entrepreneurial Education”, keynote speech given to Ministers, Vice Chancellors, Deans and Corporate Leaders, Nairobi, Kenya, May 23, 2011.
- R. McNaughton and H.M. Armitage, “Developing Entrepreneurs through Experiential Learning: the Master of Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology Program at the University of Waterloo, Canada”, International Review of Entrepreneurship, Volume 8, Issue 1, p1-32, 2010
- Armitage, H.M. “Educating Entrepreneurs: Lessons for Technology-based Academic Institutions” keynote address given to Cuernavaca campus of ITESM, Cuernava, Mexico, Sept 22, 2009.
- Armitage, H.M., P. Doherty and R. McNaughton, “Providing Business Education to Entrepreneurs” in University-Based Entrepreneurship Centres in Canada: Strategies and Best Practices. – Chapter 22, Editor: Menzies T. Brock University, St. Catharines, Ontario, 2009.
- Armitage, H.M.,and C. Scholey, Using Strategy Maps to Guide Performance, Management Accounting Guideline, Society of Management Accountants of Canada, January 2007
- Armitage, H.M., and R.B. McNaughton, “Breaking the MBA Mould: Business Education for a High Technology World, in New Visions of Graduate Management Education a book in the series Research In Management Education and Development), December 2006
Selected awards and honours
Recipient of the Waterloo Award for Innovation, Impact and Leadership to the Community
|2014||Recipient of the Startup Canada Entrepreneurship Educator of the Year (Ontario)|
|2011||Special Ceremony at HUB (with message from Governor General of Canada) to honour contributions made to entrepreneurship education|
|2004||Recipient of 3M National Teaching Fellowship for educational excellence|
|2000||Recipient of LS Rosen Outstanding Canadian Accounting Educator Award|
|1997||Recipient of the University of Waterloo Distinguished Teaching Award|
|1996||Elected "Fellow" of the Society of Management Accountants of Canada|