Phone: 519-888-4567 x30458
Location: Accelerator Building 205B
- PhD, Business Administration, Carleton University, 2008
- MBA, Marketing, Panjab University, 1999
- BSc, Chemistry, St. Stephen's College, Delhi University, 1996
- Associate Professor, Conrad Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology Centre, University of Waterloo, 2016 to present
- Associate Professor, Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University, 2013 - 2015
- Co-director, International Research Institute, Ryerson University, 2010 - 2014
- Assistant Professor, Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University, 2009 - 2013
- Assistant Professor, Davis College of Business, Jacksonville University, 2008 - 2009
- Business Development Executive, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd, 2001 - 2003
- Marketing Executive, Jobsahead.com, 1999 - 2001
- Corporate strategy
- International business
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Role of heuristics and personality in strategic decision-making
- BET 601 Strategically Managing the Entrepreneurial Organization
- BET 320 Introduction to Commercialization Management
Malhotra, S., Reus, T., Zhu, P., & Roelofsen. E. The acquisitive nature of extraverted CEOs. Administrative Science Quarterly (included in the Financial Times list of top management journals), Forthcoming.
Malhotra, S., Morgan, H., and Zhu, P. (2016). Sticky decisions: Anchoring and equity stakes in international acquisitions. Journal of Management (included in the Financial Times list of top management journals), Forthcoming.
- Dev, D., Malhotra, and S., Zhu, P. (2016). Internationalization process, impact of slack resources, and role of the CEO: The duality of structure and agency in Evolution of Cross-Border Acquisition Decisions. Journal of World Business, 51, 212-225.
- Malhotra, S., Lin, H., and Farrell, C. (2016). Cross-national uncertainty and level of control in crossborder acquisitions: A comparison of Latin American and U.S. multinationals. Journal of Business Research, 69, 1993-2004.
- Malhotra, S., Zhu, P., and Reus, T. (2015) Anchoring on the acquisition premium decisions of others. Strategic Management Journal (included in the Financial Times list of top management journals), 36 (12), 1866-1876.
- Malhotra, S. and Gaur, A. (2014). Spatial geography and control in foreign acquisitions. Journal of International Business Studies (included in the Financial Times list of top management journals), 45(2), 191-210.
- Gaur, A., Malhotra, S., and Zhu, P. (2013). Acquisition announcement and stock market valuation of rivals: A test of growth probability hypothesis. Strategic Management Journal (included in the Financial Times list of top management journals), 34(2), 215-232. (An abridged version of the paper appeared in Chinese Management Insights, a Chinese-English bilingual publication that converts leading academic research on China-related topics into summaries that can be easily read and used by managers).
- Malhotra, S. and Zhu, P. (2013). Paying for cross-border acquisitions: The impact of prior acquirers’ decisions. Journal of World Business, 48, 271-281.
- Malhotra, S. (2012). Geographic distance as a moderator of curvilinear relationship between cultural distance and shared ownership. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 29, 218-230. (Among papers that the Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences published in 2012, the journal nominated the above study for the best paper award).
- Mulki, J., Jaramillo, F., and Malhotra, S., Locander, B. (2012). Decisive sales managers, reluctant salespeople and felt stress: The moderating impact of participative leadership. Journal of Business Research, 65, 77–83.
- Lin, X. and Malhotra, S. (2012). To adapt or not adapt: The moderating effect of perceived similarity in cross cultural business partnerships. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 36, 118-129.
- Malhotra, S., Sivakumar, K., and Zhu, P. (2011). Curvilinear relationship between cultural distance and equity participation: An empirical analysis of cross-border acquisitions. Journal of International Management, 17, 316-332.
Selected Awards and Honours
|2017||Recognized by the Dean for Teaching Excellence|
SSHRC Insight Grant (Principal Investigator) ($133,132)
|2015||Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management conference|
|2014||Distinguished Paper Award, Academy of Management conference (Paper rated in the top 1%)|
|2014||Best Paper Award (Strategy), Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Conference|
|2014||Faculty Scholarly Research Award, Ryerson University ($2,000)|
|2013||Identified by Ryerson students as ‘A Prof Who Made a Mark’|
|2013||Best Paper Award (Global Business), Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Conference|
SSHRC Insight Development Grant (Principal Investigator) ($65,550)
|2013||Best Paper Nomination, Canadian Journal of Administration Sciences|
|2013||Best Paper Nomination, Strategic Management Society|
|2011||Faculty Scholarly Research Award, Ryerson University ($2,000)|
|2009||Best Paper Award (International Marketing), AMA Winter Marketing Educators’ Conference|
|2008||University Senate Medal for Academic Achievement, Carleton University|
|2007||Ontario Graduate Scholarship ($15,000)|
|2005||Best Paper Award, 9th International Conference on Marketing Development|