Happy holidays from the Conrad Centre! Thank you for journeying with us through another wonderful year of studying, sharing, and living business, entrepreneurship, and technology.
We have had another tremendous year filled with student accomplishments, grand achievements from alumni, and a team at Conrad that is growing and creating powerful programming for entrepreneurs.
As we approach the end of 2015 our memories of the year are fond, and our hopes for 2016 are high. We have an ambitious agenda designed to support entrepreneurs in their pursuit of education in its many forms.
We feel privileged to have enjoyed another year teaching and supporting ambitious University of Waterloo entrepreneurs.
- We welcomed many new faces in the Conrad office in 2015:
- Tara Gingerich Hiebert, Graduate Coordinator
- Lindsay Kroes, Marketing and Communications Coordinator
- Nada Basir, Professor, Strategy and Social Entrepreneurship
- Catherine Bischoff, Associate Director, Outreach and International Programs
- Laurin Black and Abhina Mahendramohan, Co-op students in the role of Office and Special Projects Assistant
- The MBET class of 2015 had a fantastic experience traveling in Silicon Valley for one week in June
- The Conrad Centre launched the cross-campus 8-course Minor in Entrepreneurship
- We celebrated another successful class of MBETs with an end-of-year event in June
- In 2015 we committed to re-connecting with our MBET grads through a series of alumni mixer events. Meeting in April and October, we have begun what we intend to be a great tradition of bringing former classmates together and introducing new classes to their alumni network.
- Marc Hurwitz, BET 300, 310, and MBET practicum leader, published a book with his wife Samantha: Leadership is Half the Story
- MBET class of 2014 graduates Vejey Gandier and Ali Esmail made a deal with the dragons on CBC's Next Gen Den with their prescription app PopRx
- Clearpath Robotics announced a $14 million funding round and plans to open a product design facility in the San Francisco Bay area
- Conrad Centre benefactor Manfred Conrad was inducted into Waterloo Region Entrepreneur Hall of Fame
- By the numbers:
- 32% increase in faculty and staff complement
- 1027 students studied at Conrad in 2015
- Conrad staff and faculty attended over 50 events
- 163% increase in undergraduate students from 2014-2015
- In 2015 57% of funding awarded at the Velocity Fund Finals went to companies developed by Conrad students
- We expect 1 more very special person to arrive in 2016: Congratulations on baby #2 Tara and Kyle!
We wish Mark Weber well as he prepares to depart for a six-month research leave. While he’s gone, Howard Armitage will return to a leadership role he knows well as Conrad’s Acting Director. Mark is back July 1, 2016.
We've compiled a Storify of the highlights of 2015! Follow along through our social media from January to December and everything in between to see how far we've come and how much we've accomplished!