Karin Schmidlin, BA, MDM, is a Lecturer at the Conrad School of Entrepreneurship and Business. She is presently the UX Mentor at Design Lab and a Lecturer at the University of Waterloo’s Stratford Campus. Karin earned her Master of Digital Media (MDM) for the Center for Digital Media Vancouver. She teaches BET 350 - Customer Experience Design.
- Digital strategy
- Master of Digital Media (MDM), Center for Digital Media Vancouver (University of British Columbia / Simon Fraser University / Emily Carr University of Art and Design / British Columbia Institute of Technology), 2010
- Bachelor of Arts, Performing Arts, Zurich University of the Arts, 1989
- Lecturer, Conrad School of Entrepreneurship and Business, University of Waterloo, 2018
- Lecturer, User Experience Design and Innovation, University of Waterloo Stratford Campus, 2017 – present
- UX Instructor, University of Waterloo Stratford Campus, 2012 - 2017
- Faculty, New Media and Web Development, British Colombia Institute of Technology, 2006 - 2012
- UX Mentor, Design Lab, 2016 – present
- UX Design Lead and Manager, Jamii – the Virtual Incubator, Conrad Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology Centre, University of Waterloo, 2012 – 2017
- Lead Educator, UX, Brainstation Waterloo, 2015
- Digital Strategist/Multimedia Manager, Allegra Print Web, 2011 – 2013
- Project Manager, User Experience Designer, Allegra Print Web, 2010 – 2011
- Communications Coordinator, IATSE Local 891, 2000 – 2008
- Team Leader, UBS, 1998 – 2000
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Jamii: A Virtual Incubation Platform for Entrepreneurs presented at the annual Canadian Council of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (CCSBE), Quebec City (2017).
- Virtual Learning for Entrepreneurs: A Conceptual Model, D. Sparkes, K. Schmidlin, M. Hsu, presented at the Education and Information Systems, Technology and Applications Conference (EISTA), Orlando, Florida (2016). Winner of the Session’s Best Paper Award.
- The Virtual Incubation Program: Empowering Virtual Entrepreneurship Education, K. Schmidlin, D. Sparkes, International Higher Education and Teaching Conference (HETL), Anchorage, Alaska (2014).
Awards and Honours
|2017||Excellence in Arts Teaching Award, University of Waterloo Faculty of Arts|