We acknowledge that we live and work on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.
Karin Schmidlin, BA, MDM, is a Lecturer at the Conrad School of Entrepreneurship and Business. She is presently the UX Mentor at Design Lab and a Lecturer at the University of Waterloo’s Stratford Campus. Karin earned her Master of Digital Media (MDM) for the Center for Digital Media Vancouver. She teaches BET 350 - Customer Experience Design.
- Digital strategy
- Master of Digital Media (MDM), Center for Digital Media Vancouver (University of British Columbia / Simon Fraser University / Emily Carr University of Art and Design / British Columbia Institute of Technology), 2010
- Bachelor of Arts, Performing Arts, Zurich University of the Arts, 1989
- Lecturer, Conrad School of Entrepreneurship and Business, University of Waterloo, 2018
- Lecturer, User Experience Design and Innovation, University of Waterloo Stratford Campus, 2017 – present
- UX Instructor, University of Waterloo Stratford Campus, 2012 - 2017
- Faculty, New Media and Web Development, British Colombia Institute of Technology, 2006 - 2012
- UX Mentor, Design Lab, 2016 – present
- UX Design Lead and Manager, Jamii – the Virtual Incubator, Conrad Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology Centre, University of Waterloo, 2012 – 2017
- Lead Educator, UX, Brainstation Waterloo, 2015
- Digital Strategist/Multimedia Manager, Allegra Print Web, 2011 – 2013
- Project Manager, User Experience Designer, Allegra Print Web, 2010 – 2011
- Communications Coordinator, IATSE Local 891, 2000 – 2008
- Team Leader, UBS, 1998 – 2000
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Jamii: A Virtual Incubation Platform for Entrepreneurs presented at the annual Canadian Council of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (CCSBE), Quebec City (2017).
- Virtual Learning for Entrepreneurs: A Conceptual Model, D. Sparkes, K. Schmidlin, M. Hsu, presented at the Education and Information Systems, Technology and Applications Conference (EISTA), Orlando, Florida (2016). Winner of the Session’s Best Paper Award.
- The Virtual Incubation Program: Empowering Virtual Entrepreneurship Education, K. Schmidlin, D. Sparkes, International Higher Education and Teaching Conference (HETL), Anchorage, Alaska (2014).
Awards and Honours
|2017||Excellence in Arts Teaching Award, University of Waterloo Faculty of Arts|