Study permit requirements: I’m a new international student who is scheduled to begin my studies online in fall 2020. Do I need a study permit to do so?

A study permit is not required to study online from outside of Canada, however it is strongly recommended that you apply for one as soon as possible.  

Things to consider:  

  • Once in-person studies resume, a valid study permit and temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic travel authorization (eTA) will be necessary to enter Canada and continue your studies.  

  • Submitting your study permit application before beginning your studies is important if you want to count this time spent studying towards your  post-graduation work permit (PGWP)  eligibility. 

  • There’s no guarantee your current application will be approved, even if you receive a stage 1 approval (AIP). 

Please note that information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada continues to change. It's recommended that you always contact the University of Waterloo’s  Immigration Consulting team  if you have any questions you would like to discuss.  

Frequently Asked Questions