I’m a new international student who is scheduled to begin my studies online in fall 2020. When should I apply for a study permit?

Most courses will be offered online for the fall term. We recommend that you apply for your study permit as soon as possible, as there will be a delay in processing times due to COVID-19. The sooner you submit your application, the sooner it will begin processing. Check the IRCC website to see estimated processing times, however recognize that these may not be accurate during the COVID-19 interruptions

Things to consider

  • Once in-person studies resume, a valid study permit and temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic travel authorization (eTA) will be necessary to enter Canada and continue your studies. There’s no guarantee your current application will be approved, even if you receive a stage 1 approval (AIP). 
  • Submitting your study permit application before beginning your studies is important if you want to count this time spent studying towards your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility.

Please note that information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada continues to change. It's recommended that you always contact the University of Waterloo’s Immigration Consulting team if you have any questions you would like to discuss.

Frequently asked questions