Health and travel guidance

The Government of Canada requires all international travelers self-isolate for 14 days.

In addition, if you have recently arrived from Hubei province (China), Iran and Italy you are asked to contact your healthcare provider or health authority. Students can reach out to Health Services and employees can contact Occupational Health

For more Public Health information, please visit the Region of Waterloo's Public Health and Emergency Services COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus webpage.


Feeling unwell?

Contact your family doctor or call Health Services at 519-888-4096 to book an appointment. You should also avoid contact with others. 

Avoiding contact with others – also called self-isolation – means:

  • stay home from school or work,
  • avoid public places
  • do not take public transit, and
  • do not have visitors.

Travel guidance

All University-sanctioned international travel is suspended until further notice

The global COVID-19 situation continues to evolve. We are giving this direction because we want to protect the health, safety and wellness of our community. We also want to help reduce the spread of disease.

We are supporting students who are currently outside of Canada to make arrangements to return.

The World Health Organization (WHO) described COVID-19 as a global pandemic. The Government of Canada has issued  active travel health notices

Faculty and staff who are uncertain or need advice about this rule should discuss with their supervisor.

If you have not done so already, students on co-op work terms must contact the Safety Abroad Team at to notify us if you will return to Canada or another country or remain where you are. Travelers must provide updated contact information so we can reach you quickly if required.

Register all University-sanctioned travel 

Starting immediately, all employees must register all international travel with the Safety Abroad Team

  • to access travel safety information 
  • emergency help 
  • access to Anvil Group services

If you have questions about travel please reach out to

For guidance in the event of an emergency abroad, please consult Waterloo International emergency contacts. Additionally, emergency travel assistance and various travel services are provided to University of Waterloo members by Anvil Group.

Travel outside of Canada is not recommended

Many countries have issued travel bans or border restrictions and other measures such as movement restrictions and quarantines.The Government of Canada is recommending that travellers find out what options are still available to return to Canada and consider returning as soon as possible.
Canadians seeking to return now face reduced commercial travel options and may experience a sudden spike in prices. The Government of Canada will provide financial assistance to Canadians abroad.


Additional information for: