A photograph is the original instant message — a single photograph can capture a multitude of feelings and ideas, and can be a powerful vehicle for the project’s goals and objectives.
Arranging photo shoots
Creative Services can provide or arrange — for marketing, news releases, teaching, or research — the latest digital technology for the following:
- Studio photography for business portraits, product photography, or group photos: The Creative Services' professional seamless studio offers state-of-the-art equipment and a selection of backdrops.
- Location events (presentations, award ceremonies, news events, etc.).
- Retouching with Adobe Photoshop.
- Format compatibility confirmation (also known as pre-flighting) for publications, photographic printing, or web applications.
- Web gallery: Recent work can be viewed in Waterloo Photos.
- Photo archives: Search the archives for photos that can be used in non-commercial communication pieces about the University of Waterloo.
- Photo shoots: Creative Services can provide art direction and offer other suggestions for photo shoots. You may also wish to book a photographer.
Notes about those being photographed
- Privacy issues: University of Waterloo legal counsel has advised that taking and publishing photos of individuals without their consent constitutes an invasion of privacy.
- Consent guidelines: While it’s not necessary to obtain a release and consent from every person who will appear in the background of a picture, consent should always be obtained for the principal subjects.
- Required consent form: Principal subjects, whether models hired for the photo shoot, or University guests, faculty, staff, students or alumni, will need to read and sign the image release form (PDF).
- For public events, you can post a notice of photography.
- Answers to questions about photography by Creative Services may be found at Ask a Question.
- Please contact Creative Services early in the planning process. Some situations may need location scouting, and specialized lighting and equipment.
- A Creative Services designer can be sourced for advice about art direction.
- The minimum requirement for viewing PDF files is Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- To arrange a consultation and/or book photography sessions, contact a Creative Services’ Project Co-ordinator, Jennifer Halcrow or Julie Grant.