In the Fall 2020 term, Centre faculty and staff expanded the online events schedule from the previous term. The Centre collaborated with the School of Accounting and Finance (SAF) Management Control Systems course (AFM 482) to engage fourth-year students in conversations with successful practitioners on specific performance management topics. Along with engaging the students, the purpose of the live podcast events was to share with students how the concepts learned in their course are used by practitioners. Further, the Centre hoped to display for students the variety of performance management careers opportunities and paths take by some that chose a performance management career. Across all 5 podcasts, over 1500 students were in attendance for these events.
The topics discussed and the practitioners included:
- Alykhan Damji, Chief Operations Officer, Owner, and Operator, A&W
- Topic: Performance measurement
- Anik Seth, Executive Director and Co-Owner, Seth's Hospitality Services Inc. (O/A Tim Hortons Franchisee)
- Topic: Personnel and cultural controls
- Chaoran Wang, FP&A Manager, Auvik
- Topic: Budgeting and forecasting
- John McCutcheon, Secretary-Treasurer, Ontario Hockey Federation
- Topic: Performance management in non-profit organizations
- Allan Schweyer, Senior Human Capital Consultant, Center for Human Capital Innovation (CHCI)
- Topic: Human capital management
The Centre has also leveraged the video content from these events to produce recorded video podcasts with additional teaching material. One podcast is complete and available on the Performance Management in Practice Podcast webpage. More are in production and will be releaseed in the future.