The Advance Consulting for Education - Teaching English as a Second Language to Speakers of Other Languages (ACE-TESOL) Certificate provides you with the tools, strategies, skills and knowledge to be successful as an English language teacher.
The ACE-TESOL Certificate course:
- Places a strong emphasis on practical teaching skills and uses pair work, small group work, class discussions and teaching demonstrations to enhance each participant’s learning experience.
- Updates its curriculum annually to reflect industry changes and to incorporate the latest language learning research.
- Is taught by professional, experienced and energetic trainers.
- Provides a professional, internationally recognized English as a Second Language (ESL) teaching credential - TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) Canada Standard One (Interim).
A university degree (in any field) is required for certification but not required for enrolment. Candidates in their final year of university studies may apply; however, once they have successfully completed the ACE-TESOL program, they may only seek TESL Canada Certification upon graduation with their university degree.
Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English by providing a recent score on a standardized English proficiency test that exceeds the score required for undergraduate admission to the University of Waterloo’s Faculty of Arts (see the specific score requirements).
Please note: In order to complete the teaching practicum in Renison University College’s undergraduate/graduate classes and all EAP courses, candidates need to demonstrate a higher language proficiency level than the students they will be teaching. Typically, this requires that candidates have an IELTS 8 or equivalent. Candidates with language proficiency levels below an IELTS 8 (but not below a 7) will be accommodated in other practicum placements, possibly, at other locations, or can find practicum placements of their choosing.
The classroom component consists of 100 hours of instruction and covers the following content:
There are two practicum options. The course cost varies depending on the practicum option you select. Both practicum options are completed in real ESL classes.
- Option One: 20-hour practicum: 10 hours of observation, and 10 hours of supervised teaching. The ACE-TESOL Certificate with 20-hour practicum, combined with an undergraduate degree (in any field) may be submitted for TESL Canada Certification.
- Option Two: 10-hour practicum: 6 hours of observation, and 4 hours of assisting an ESL teacher. The ACE-TESOL Certificate with 10-hour practicum may not be submitted for TESL Canada Certification.
Throughout the course participants complete the following assessments:
- an observation report based on observing six hours of real ESL classes
- progress test
- achievement test
- lesson planning task
- evaluated micro-teaching
- lesson plan portfolio
Dates and Fees
Dates: April 24 - May 19, 2017
Option 1: $1900.00 – plus $100 for 20-hour practicum option (eligible for TESL Canada Certification)
Option 2: $1900.00 – plus $100 for 10-hour practicum (not eligible for TESL Canada Certification)
TESL Canada Certification
The requirements for the TESL Canada Professional Certificate Standard One (Interim) are:
- completion of an undergraduate degree at an accredited post-secondary institution;
- completion of a TESL Canada recognized TESL training program or equivalent which includes:
- at least 100 hours of theory and methodology and;
- a supervised practicum of at least 20 hours.
To apply, download and complete the PDF application form below:
Please contact Maggie Heeney with inquiries about the program or application procedures.