Waterloo's accepted ELP examinations and required scores are outlined in the Graduate Studies Academic Calendar — English language proficiency section.
As you view the required scores in the Graduate Studies Academic Calendar, there are a few important things to note:
Before you apply
- ELP test scores are valid for two years from the test date.
- Tests that do not appear on the ELP requirement charts are not accepted for admission consideration.
- Letters from your university stating the medium of instruction is English do not satisfy our requirements, please do not upload them.
- Waterloo reserves the right to request an English language test result from any applicant.
Declare your ELP test scores and date of test on your online application.
If you have not yet taken an ELP test but have scheduled a test, declare the test date.
After you apply
Uploading your documents:
- Upload a copy of your original test score (TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, CAEL, EFAS) in Quest.
If you have not yet taken an ELP test AND have not declared a test date on your application:
Arrange for original test scores to be sent to us directly from the testing agency.
- When ordering your TOEFL from the Education Testing Service (ETS) use:
- Institution code - 0996 (University of Waterloo)
- Department Code - 01 (Graduate Studies)
- When ordering your IELTS from the agency:
- Name of Institution - University of Waterloo
- Waterloo receives results electronically, so you do not need to courier us a paper copy of the results.