You are exempt from submitting an English language proficiency (ELP) examination score if any one of the following conditions is true at the time of admission to Waterloo:
- You have completed three or more years of post-secondary education at a Canadian institution or university. or
- You have completed a graduate degree at a Canadian university. or
- You have completed three or more years of post-secondary education, or completed a graduate degree in an exempt country listed in our chart below. or
- You have been employed for at least three years in a position in which English was the language of business in a country listed in our chart below. or
- You have completed three or more years of post-secondary education, or completed a graduate degree at a university where English is listed as the only language of instruction on the WHED (International Association of Universities' Worldwide Database of Higher Education Institutions, Systems and Credentials).
NOTE: an ELP exemption from a WHED institution expires two years after graduation.
Antigua & Barbuda
Ireland (Republic of)
Papua New Guinea
St. Kitts & Nevis
Trinidad & Tobago
Turks & Caicos Islands