Learn more about applying to Waterloo graduate studies with a sponsorship, or through a formal agreement.
You may also wish to review our list of international agreements and sponsorships.
Applying with a Sponsorship
Before you apply
- Personal letters of sponsorship, such as those from family members and banks, are not required.
Applying to Waterloo
- Within the Other Information section of the OUAC online application, under International Agreements, choose your sponsorship agreement from the drop down menu.
- If your scholarship agreement is not among those listed, choose “Other scholarship” from the drop down menu.
- Some agreements provide a preliminary sponsorship or scholarship letter, if applicable, email a pdf copy to Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to include your full name and your 8 digit (numerical only) Waterloo ID number.
- If you are applying with a sponsorship that includes funding for English language studies, conditional admission may be offered. Learn more about sponsorship's with English Language Training.
- The sponsorship documentation must detail the approved program, financial support amount and the number of years the funding has been granted (a minimum two years for a master’s research program and a minimum of four years for a PhD program).
- Please refer to Arranging your fees with a third-party sponsorship on the Finance website for the information required in the official sponsorship documentation. If there is any change in your funding situation, the University of Waterloo may re-evaluate your Offer of Admission, and reserves the right to withdraw your Offer of Admission or withdraw you from your graduate program.