Dept of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Centre for Environmental and Information Technology (EIT)
200 University Ave. W
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567
Calling all graduate student photographers. The Faculty of Science is holding its first Science Graduate Student Photo Contest! From field-work to social activities, we want your photo to describe what life is like in Waterloo Science. Submissions will be used to help promote grad studies and the different elements of student experience across the Faculty and will be displayed in public materials, such as our website and brochures. Please review the below details before entering.
The Science Graduate Student Photo Contest is open to all current graduate students enrolled within the Faculty of Science. Faculty and staff are not eligible to participate.
- Under the Microscope – photos that focus on the subject of an experiment and captivate what one may not see with the natural eye (may include bacteria, animals, plants, etc.)
- Clinical/Field Work – photos that capture the unique opportunities gained from hands-on field work (may include community/relationships, travel, landscape, experiments, etc.)
- In the Lab – photos that resemble what life is like in the lab (may include experiments, special clothing, materials, research subjects, etc.)
- Student Life – photos that illustrate the dynamic social community of grad students (may include Grad Student Associations, professional development, housing, events, etc.)
The judging panel will consist of three individuals within the Faculty of Science; a faculty member, staff member and current student.
Photos will be judged on:
- Expression of category
- Visual appeal
- Reality (natural vs. edited)
- Strategy (approach behind taking the photo)
Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners within each category.
- 1 st place – $100 UW gift card + Science swag
- 2nd place – $50 UW gift card + Science swag
All photos must be submitted through the online form between Thursday, July 6 to Wednesday, September 6, 2017. Entries must be high resolution (original file size, max 2MB) jpg files. Students may only submit one photo per category. Please include:
- Title of photo
- Category for submission
- Brief description of photo (include location, date, story behind what is being captured)
- Your name, program/department, year, & contact information
Terms and Conditions
- You will require consent of any individuals who are in your photo. Please get them to complete the photo release form (PDF) and attach it with your submission.
- By entering the contest, the photographer allow the right to the Faculty of Science at the University of Waterloo to publish their submitted photo in promotional materials such as the Faculty website and brochure.
- Entries must be received by 11:59pm on Wednesday, September 6.
- Participants are only allowed to submit one photo per category.
- The same photo may be submitted to more than one category.
- Photos that are lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, defamatory, or libelous will be disqualified.
- By signing and completing the entry form, the contestant consents to the entry of their submission and agrees to the term and conditions.