International exchange policy and guidelines
Students in good academic standing are encouraged to seek international exchange experiences by studying abroad for one or two terms. If you are interested in this opportunity, please visit the Faculty of Arts international exchange webpage and contact an economics academic advisor.
Important notes for economics students
- Economics students who wish to study abroad must have at least a 75% overall cumulative average.
- Unless special permission is granted, on exchange economics students may not take required core courses such as ECON 201, 202, 221, 301, 302, 321, 401 and 402.
- Students cannot claim non-economics courses for Waterloo economics course credits. This rule stands even if the same textbooks have been used.
- The residency requirement states that students are required to take at least 50% (half) of the required courses for a degree (major, minor, specialization, option) at the University of Waterloo.
- Students normally may not take more than two ECON courses per term while on exchange.
- Exchange course approval is valid for the requested term only. A new request for exchange course approval must be submitted for each term.
How to apply
Please submit your exchange application package to the Economics Undergraduate Office in HH 214. A complete application package includes:
- a completed exchange application form
- a copy of your Quest unofficial transcript
- a relevant course description from the host university
Once the academic advisors review your application, please follow the Arts exchange procedures for submitting your application.
Students must submit their application at least one term in advance. Please see the international exchange frequently asked questions for more information.