Courses available to Master of Engineering students are usually selected from the full set of graduate courses offered in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
MEng students should note the following regarding their choice of courses
- The degree of Master of Engineering is awarded based on the successful completion of 8 graduate level courses. A student may take a maximum of 10 courses (0.5 credits each) as part of the MEng program.
- MEng students are required to maintain an overall average of at least 70% and obtain a final grade of at least 65% in each course. Any grade below 65% is considered a failed course and must be made up in another term. Students in ECE are not permitted to retake failed courses. Failure to meet these requirements may result in your withdrawal from the program.
- Full-time MEng students may enroll in a maximum of 3 courses per term while part-time MEng students can enroll in a maximum of 2 courses per term. This includes EMLS, extra, and audited courses.
- All courses must be taken at the graduate level (600 or 700). A minimum of 5 courses must be taken within the ECE department.
- MEng students may take a maximum of 3 courses from outside the ECE department. Any non-ECE courses must be completed within the faculties of Engineering, Math, or Science.
- Undergraduate courses (including 400 and 500-level courses) will not be counted toward your degree requirements.
- Courses which have been audited or taken as extra will not be counted toward your degree requirements or any of the Graduate Diploma requirements.
- In order to qualify for a Graduate Diploma, you must fulfil the requirements as specified for each Diploma. Each Diploma has compulsory and elective courses. Since all courses are only offered once a year, it is advisable to take the compulsory courses when they are offered.
A course cannot be applied to more than two credentials (e.g., the degree and a single diploma).
- Due to program completion deadlines, MEng students are not permitted to register in an OVGS course in their final term of registration.
- OVGS course registrations will not be approved beyond the 2nd week of the term.
Program duration and enrolment
- Will be allowed to register for a maximum of three courses per term
- Will be required to register for a minimum of two courses per term
- Will be required to be registered in the MEng program for a minimum of 3 terms
- Will be required to complete all degree requirements within 6 academic terms
- Will be allowed to register for a maximum of one course per term (2 in exceptional circumstances with special permission)
- Will be required to complete all degree requirements within 15 academic terms and should not have more than two terms of continuous "inactive" status
- Will be required to be registered in the MEng Program for a minimum of 4 terms