This section contains links that are relevant to students who have just begun their graduate work towards either the doctoral (PhD), research-based master of applied science (MASc), or course-based master of engineering (MEng) programs.

Graduate guides

We have a guide for new MASc and PhD students and another guide for new MEng students.

Guides provide information on:

  • University of Waterloo services
  • academic program information
  • links to other graduate studies information sources
  • administrative contacts in the Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) department

Required modules and readings

  • Academic integrity module: All new graduate students are required to complete the Graduate Academic Integrity Module on Waterloo LEARN by the end of the second month of their first term of registration.
  • Safety manual: The safety manual outlines safety regulations and references applicable to all faculty, staff, graduate students and others working in the ECE department. Students must read the entire manual, then print the Student Safety Manual Acknowledgement form off, complete it, and bring it to the person specified on the form, to indicate that you have read the manual.
  • SO1001 - Employee Safety Orientation
  • SO1081 - Workplace Violence Awareness
  • SO2017 - Employee WHMIS 2015

After completing the training modules and mandatory reading of the Safety Manual, students can receive keys for office/lab spaces in the department by taking the completed Key Resource and Request form and the Safety Manual Acknowledgement form, to the ECE Space Coordinator in EIT 3031, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

NOTE: Keys and office space will not be distributed until the above has been completed.

International Students

International students will be interested in the International Student Office. Their team is equipped to assist international students in all aspects of their transition to living and studying in Canada.

Teaching or Research Assistant

If you are being paid as a Teaching or Research Assistant or are receiving a Research Studentship, please ensure that you have completed the necessary paperwork for the Human Resources Office (payroll). The following 3 documents must be completed and submitted prior to the payroll cut-off date if you are a new student.

  • Personal Information Form
  • Federal TD1 Form
  • Ontario TD1 Form


During the Fall and Spring terms, the Faculty of Engineering offers a two-day ExpecTAtions workshop for students who are interested in being Teaching Assistants (TAs). After successful completion of the two-day workshop, each participant will receive a certificate of completion. Interested students must register through the ExpecTAtions website in order to participate.


The Student Portal provides you with real-time information, updates, and features relevant to all students on a customizable, mobile-friendly application.