Andrei Sazonov is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He is a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology, the Materials Research Society, the Electrochemical Society, the Society for Information Displays, and Professional Engineers Ontario. He is Associate Editor of IEEE/OSA Journal of Display Technology and Editorial Board Member of Proceedings of universities (Electronics).
His research interests include thin film technology, amorphous, nanocrystalline, and polycrystalline semiconductors and dielectrics, and their device applications (solar cells, radiation sensors, memory devices, biomedical sensors) for flexible electronics.
The main focus of Professor Sazonov’s research is the development of materials, devices and low-temperature techniques for the fabrication of low cost, flexible electronics. The application include “dragonfly eye” spherical cameras, flexible solar cells, and wireless body monitoring sensors.
Nano-crystalline semiconductors, which can be deposited over larger areas, are another focus of Professor Sazonov’s research. It can be deposited over several square metres and exhibit better light sensitivity than crystalline counterparts. This will make the fabrication process simpler and potentially cheaper, because it will allow for more devices to be fabricated in the same run or even printed through a roll-to-roll process.
Professor Sazonov is also the co- holder of the patents for “Thin Film Transistor and Method For Forming The Same” and “The method for deposition of amorphous hydrogenated silicon thin films”.
- Thin film material and process technologies for optical and X-ray sensors and thin film transistors for large area digital imaging of X-ray and optical signals
- Amorphous and nanocrystalline silicon, silicon nitride/oxide thin film deposition at low temperatures
- Amorphous and nanocrystalline silicon electronics on flexible substrates
- Thin film silicon solar cells on flexible substrates
- Thin film moisture barriers for organic electronics
- Dipl.Eng, Moscow Institute of Electronic Technology, Russia
- PhD, Moscow Institute of Electronic Technology, Russia
Please see Professor Sazonov's own web page for further information.