Andrei Sazonov is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He is a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology, the Materials Research Society, the Electrochemical Society, the Society for Information Displays, and Professional Engineers Ontario. He is Associate Editor of IEEE/OSA Journal of Display Technology and Editorial Board Member of Proceedings of universities (Electronics).
His research interests include thin film technology, amorphous, nanocrystalline, and polycrystalline semiconductors and dielectrics, and their device applications (solar cells, radiation sensors, memory devices, biomedical sensors) for flexible electronics.
The main focus of Professor Sazonov’s research is the development of materials, devices and low-temperature techniques for the fabrication of low cost, flexible electronics. The application include “dragonfly eye” spherical cameras, flexible solar cells, and wireless body monitoring sensors.
Nano-crystalline semiconductors, which can be deposited over larger areas, are another focus of Professor Sazonov’s research. It can be deposited over several square metres and exhibit better light sensitivity than crystalline counterparts. This will make the fabrication process simpler and potentially cheaper, because it will allow for more devices to be fabricated in the same run or even printed through a roll-to-roll process.
Professor Sazonov is also the co- holder of the patents for “Thin Film Transistor and Method For Forming The Same” and “The method for deposition of amorphous hydrogenated silicon thin films”.
- Thin Film Materials And Processes
- Amorphous And Nanocrystalline Semiconductors
- Silicon Devices & Nanotechnology
- Thin Film Solar Cells
- Thin Film Moisture Barriers
- Flat Panel Displays
- Flexible Electronics
- Large Area Digital Imaging
- 2007, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, Moscow Institute of Electronic Technology (Technical University)
- 1991, Other, Electrical Engineering, Moscow Institute of Electronic Technology (Technical University)
- ECE 209 - Electronic and Electrical Properties of Materials
- ECE 632 - Photovoltaic Energy Conversion
- ECE 639 - Characteristics & Applications of Amorphous Silicon
- Lee, Czang-Ho and Wong, William S and Sazonov, Andrei and Nathan, Arokia, Study of deposition temperature on high crystallinity nanocrystalline silicon thin films with in-situ hydrogen plasma-passivated grains, Thin Solid Films, 597, 2015, 151 - 157
- Аблаев, ГМ and Абрамов, АС and Няпшаев, ИА and Vygranenko, YK and Yang, R and Sazonov, AY and Шварц, МЗ and Теруков, ЕИ, Гибкие солнечные модули на основе аморфного гидрогенизированного кремния, Физика и техника полупроводников, 49(5), 2015
- Ablayev, GM and Abramov, AS and Nyapshaev, IA and Vygranenko, YK and Yang, R and Sazonov, AY and Shvarts, MZ and Terukov, EI, Flexible photovoltaic modules based on amorphous hydrogenated silicon, Semiconductors, 49(5), 2015, 679 - 682
- Vygranenko, Y and Fernandes, M and Louro, P and Vieira, M and Sazonov, A, Preparation and Characterization of a-SiC: H Absorber Layer for Semi-transparent Solar Cells, Energy Procedia, 84, 2015, 56 - 61
- Fernandes, M and Vygranenko, Y and Vieira, M and Sazonov, A and Yang, R and Khosropour, A, Characterization of a-Si: H Solar Cell Modules on Plastic Substrates by High Resolution LBIC Technique, Energy Procedia, 84, 2015, 93 - 98
- Khosropour, Alireza and Sazonov, Andrei, Hydrogenated Nanocrystalline Silicon Near Infrared Photodiode Detector, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 35(11), 2014, 1106 - 1108
- Vygranenko, Yuri and Khosropour, A and Yang, R and Sazonov, A and Kosarev, A and Abramov, A and Terukov, E, Lightweight amorphous silicon photovoltaic modules on flexible plastic substrate 1, Canadian Journal of Physics, 92(7/8), 2014, 871 - 874
- Kasap, Safa and Reznik, Alla and Rowlands, John and Sazonov, Andrei and Zukotynski, Stefan and Lu, Zheng-Hong and Kumar, Kitty and Stepanov, Dmitri and Mahtani, Pratish and Fitz-Ritson, Mallory and others, Special issue for the 25th anniversary of the International Conference on Amorphous and Nanocrystalline Semiconductors: Selected papers, Can. J. Phys, 92, 2014
- Khosropour, Alireza and Sazonov, Andrei, On the Response Time of Thin-Film Silicon Lateral Metal-Semiconductor-Metal Photodetectors, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 35(7), 2014, 768 - 770
- Vygranenko, Y and Fernandes, M and Vieira, M and Sazonov, A, Optimization of the protocrystalline p-layer in a-Si: H-based n-i-p photodiodes, MRS Proceedings, 1666, 2014
- Vygranenko, Y and Fernandes, M and Vieira, M and Khosropour, A and Sazonov, A, A distributed SPICE model for amorphous silicon solar cells, Energy Procedia, 60, 2014, 96 - 101
- Vygranenko, Y and Fernandes, M and Vieira, M and Sazonov, A, MIS sensor for Luminance Control of AMOLED Pixel, Procedia Technology, 17, 2014, 574 - 579
- Vygranenko, Yuri and Fernandes, Miguel and Sazonov, Andrei and Vieira, Manuela, Driving Scheme Using MIS Photosensor for Luminance Control of AMOLED Pixel, Journal of Display Technology, 9(8), 2013, 651 - 655
- Reznik, Alla and Sazonov, Andrei and Zukotynski, Stefan, Selected papers from the 25th International Conference on Amorphous and Nanocrystalline Semiconductors, Toronto, Canada, 18--23 August 2013, Semiconductors, 18, 2013