Computing resources

There are a number of different computing groups on campus.  The top level group is Information Systems and Technology (IST).  They run the services that are used across the whole campus, like telephones, email, networks and many web sites.  The next level that relates to the Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) department is the faculty level computing support (Engineering Computing).

The last level of support for our department are our local support groups. These are split in two, for departmental computing and research computing.

The department provides computing resources in support of teaching courses.  For support in this area please go to the course computing website.

Professors will buy computers and software from their own research grants to support the research work of themselves and their group.  For support in this area please go to the Research Infrastructure Support Group site for more information.

If you have computing questions and you aren't sure who to ask, it's recommended to contact one of our computing support staff in the department and they will be able to redirect you to the right person if they cannot answer the question themselves.

Department Web pages

Campus web sites are now required by legislation to meet provincial accessibility requirements.  Many top-level sites (including the one you are reading) are on an IST server using the WCMS (Waterloo Content Management System).  A major goal of this system is to help ensure accessibility of the web site to comply with the law.  Transferring existing web sites to the WCMS is ongoing but has not reached the level of being able to be used for individual users or courses.

The ECE department also has a web server that may be used for courses or by individuals.  For questions about this server please contact the administrator, Bernie Roehl.  Members of the department (faculty, staff and students) already have an account on the web server.  There are also some accounts for courses, and if you have questions about a course account then please contact Bernie.  Users are responsible for creating the web content themselves by whatever method they choose.  Your home page should have the name index.html, or index.php if you wish to use php in your web page. When you are ready you can upload your content to the web server by uploading the files to a computer called, and putting the files in the directory /web/userid/public_html, where userid is your campus userid (truncated to 8 characters if it's longer than that).  The URL of the resulting website will be  You can upload your files using an SSH-based copy program.  For Windows, a good choice is WinSCP.  Make sure the files you upload have permissions that allow them to be readable by all users.