Engineering Science Quest (ESQ) was formed in the fall of 1990 when two Waterloo undergraduate students saw a similar program at another Canadian university. Taking what they saw to Waterloo, they ran their first camps for grades 5 and 6 students in 1991, and reached 200 students.
Since then, ESQ has grown to be recognized as a leader in Science and Engineering camps in Canada and now offers multiple summer camps for children entering grades 1 to 9. Annually the summer camp fills close to 3,000 spots and runs in various rural and aboriginal locations in Ontario.
ESQ year round
In addition to our March Break, Winter Break, After School and weekend programming, we offer a wide array of in-school and community programming.
Today, we continue our path of excellence as we develop new programming that helps highlight the importance of education in engineering and science.
ESQ camps are run out of the Waterloo Engineering Outreach (WEO) office and are jointly supported by the Waterloo faculties of Engineering and Science.
- We have run programs in over 100 communities in South Western Ontario
- We have visited over 3,500 elementary classrooms
- We have filled over 30,000 summer camp spots
- We employ over 30 university students each year
- We employ over 20 high school students each year
- We run over 100 week-long camp sessions each summer