Resources for undergraduate students
- Engineering virtual tour, program overview and student life videos
- Waterloo campus tour, faculty specific and student life videos
- More information for future undergraduate students
- CEMC free online content (math)
- COVID-19 undergraduate office modified contact information
- COVID-19 information for students
WHAT IS AN ENGCHAT?
An EngChat is a voice or video call with a current undergraduate student where you can ask your questions about their experience in Waterloo Engineering. We have ambassadors in all 14 main campus programs who have participated in a variety of different activities within Engineering, including Engineering Society, design teams, international exchange, and more!
HOW DO I SIGN UP FOR A CAMPUS TOUR?
If you are interested in learning more about the wide selection of tours we currently have available, click here.
Currently we have both in-person tours and live virtual tours available.
If you would like to book an in-person tour, click here.
- Select the date you would like to attend.
- On the right site, select the tour you are interested in joining.
- Proceed and fill out the required information.
If you would like to book a live virtual tour, click here.
- Fill out the form with all required information
- Hit SUBMIT
HOW DO VIRTUAL ENG CHATS WORK?
Make sure to check your email (including the junk folder) after you submit the EngChat form. One of our undergraduate students will get touch with you within one to two weeks of your request.
Once you confirm the date, our student will schedule the chat and ensure to meet you at that time. It's up to you whether you want to video chat or just have audio (this is a field in the form). Please let us know of any special requirements or questions in the "special considerations" box on the form. If you already submitted the form, please wait until the student gets in touch with you to address this. Do not fill out another form!
WHAT QUESTIONS SHOULD I ASK?
You can ask us any questions relevant to the Engineering program, co-op experiences, student life, campus dynamics, and our experience in Engineering at the University of Waterloo. As Engineering Ambassadors, the students doing EngChat calls are very involved with campus activities and can tell you a lot about the student experience!
Some examples of questions you can ask are:
- What courses will I take in first year?
- What is different about university classes compared to high school?
- What are some things to do on campus?
- What was your experience in first year and what is residence like?
- What advice would you give to someone looking for their first co-op job?
- What do you think of Waterloo Engineering in general?
Our students have a general knowledge of the application and admissions processes, but they will not be able to answer in depth questions about admissions. Those kinds of questions are best directed towards the Engineering admissions officers.
If you get stuck in the conversation, you can ask questions like:
- What is one piece of advice you would give a first-year engineering student?
- Where are some places you like to hang out or places to grab a bite?
- Where are the best places to study?
- What are your favourite events on campus?
- What is the one thing you didn't think about before moving into residence/moving out?
Or come up with some questions and conversation starters of your own!
HOW LONG DOES AN ENGCHAT GO FOR?
Typically an Eng Chat will be about half an hour, but it depends how many questions you have and the flow of conversation.