The President's International Experience Award is a $1500 award available to eligible full-time undergraduate students who were recipients of the President’s Scholarship of Distinction and are interested in participating in an international study or work experience.
- You must have received the President's Scholarship of Distinction Entrance Scholarship.
- You must have completed Year One with a cumulative average of at least 80%.
- You must be a continuing full-time undergraduate student registered with the University of Waterloo.
- You must be participating in an international study experience or an international work/volunteer experience that is of sufficient duration (normally minimum of one month). Consideration may be given to shorter study or work plans that provide intense, high-quality experience with relevant value to your field of study, or one that is required by your program.
- You remain eligible to apply for other merit- or need-based awards in support of your international experience; however, this award will be considered a resource to your budget.
- You may claim two President’s International Experience Awards rather than one each of this award and the President’s Research Award, provided they are for two distinct international experiences, taking place during two separate terms.
How to apply
- Print and fill out page 2 of the application form (pdf).
- If you are going on a study experience, ask the international exchange officer to complete the Approval of International Experience section on page two or,
- If you are going on a work experience ask your co-op advisor to complete the Approval of International Experience section on page two.
- Submit application to Reception, Dean of Engineering Office, E7 7302, x44885.
Award application deadline
You should apply to this award before starting the research experience, but no later than the following deadlines:
- August 1st for experiences beginning in September
- December 1st for experiences beginning in January
- April 1st for experiences beginning in May
- The $1,500 award will be paid through your Waterloo student account, normally at the beginning of the international experience.
- The award will be cancelled if you do not to participate in the experience.