Dean of Engineering Office
Engineering 7 (E7), Room 7302
Direct line: 519-888-4885
Internal line: ext. 44885
For over 40 years, Waterloo Engineering students have given feedback on their learning experiences through in-class surveys known as Course Critiques.
In 2016 the Faculty of Engineering adopted electronic delivery of course evaluations, but the survey questions have not changed in over ten years. Slightly different survey questions are asked in the undergraduate (PDF) and graduate graduate (PDF) questionnaires, but each includes a summative question that asks students their perception of the overall quality of teaching in the course.
The Teaching Portfolio oversees the course evaluation process including the areas listed below:
- connecting with department representatives to set up evaluations
- sending instructors Electronic Evaluation Instructor Guidelines and a slide that they can project during class to direct students to the evaluation site: https://evaluate.uwaterloo.ca
- meeting with Waterloo Engineering Society student representatives to talk about the evaluation process and answer any questions
- publishing items in the Iron Warrior to thank students for their open and honest feedback
Contact Kathy Becker for information about the course evaluation process.
Working with Students
Distribution of Results
- uploading results data to the undergraduate Course Critiques site and graduate Course Critiques site (both are accessible by all Engineering students, staff and faculty; login required)
- releasing results on https://evaluate.uwaterloo.ca so that
- instructors can access their own course evaluation results including students' written comments (login required)
- department chairs and directors can access faculty-wide course evaluation results excluding students' written comments (login required)
- uploading numerical results data to the Engineering Course Evaluation Results interface so that
- instructors can access their own complete set of historical course evaluation results data (login required)
- department chairs and directors can access the complete set of faculty-wide course evaluation results data (login required )
- reporting annual aggregate results data to academic unit heads for use in merit, tenure and promotion decisions
Contact Kathy Becker for support in accessing course evaluation data.
In the case of a course in which students perceived the teaching to be of low quality, the Associate Dean, Teaching contacts the instructor to review the course evaluation results and offer suggestions and support for the development of teaching skills.
The Associate Dean, Teaching also contacts new instructors to help them contextualize their course evaluation scores and to offer strategies for using student feedback to guide teaching development.
Contact the Teaching Portfolio for information about course evaluations and teaching development.