Learn to speak about your research with confidence!
Whether you are giving a conference presentation, a job talk, or defending your dissertation, as a graduate student you need to be able to speak with authority and knowledge about your research area, respond to questions, and engage in scholarly debate.
Speak like a Scholar is designed to help doctoral students develop their voices as independent scholars and give effective academic presentations with confidence.
This three-day workshop will take place over three weeks – on July 14, 21, and 28 – and offer discussions and hands-on practice addressing many aspects of giving oral presentations in an academic context.
Rules of participation
Speak like a Scholar has strict parameters for participation. Before applying, please think ahead to the three workshop days (July 14, 21, and 28) and decide whether you can meet the following expectations:
- Participate in all three days of the program (July 14, 21, and 28) from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Stay for the entire day. We will have morning and afternoon breaks, as well as a lunch hour at midday. If you have lab responsibilities, you will need to find lab coverage for the three days.
- Participate in skill-building workshops.
- Gather all of the materials you will need to draft and design presentations (articles, data, previous drafts with comments, research notes, etc.).
- Complete planning and practicing “homework” each week outside of the workshop space.
Space is limited!
This program is open to doctoral students only. Space in this workshop is limited, and participants will be selected based on their applications.
Those applicants who are not selected will be added to a waiting list in case there are cancellations.
Application for Speak like a Scholar
The Deadline for applications is June 28 at 4:00 p.m.
Apply to participate through Google Forms.