Rhetoric, Media, and Professional Communication is one of three majors offered by the English Department. RMPC offers both intellectual challenge and practical insight into rhetoric, professional writing and information design, and digital media.
This degree will give you a solid grounding in classical and contemporary rhetoric and allow you to pursue interests in advertising, technical writing, document design, and digital media.
In the English-RMPC program you will be taking courses that span a number of different fields:
- Rhetoric and professional communication courses will give you experience not only in writing in a variety of modes and for a variety of purposes and audiences, but also in exploring a variety of research methods.
- Digital media courses will give you opportunities to both analyze and create a broad variety of digital media texts.
- Linguistics courses will show you the nature and structure of the language through which we express and define ourselves.
- Literature and criticism courses will allow you to select from a broad range of traditions, including British, Canadian, American, and Postcolonial literatures.
- RMPC electives will give you the opportunity to extend your interests in many directions.
On graduation, you'll be prepared for graduate studies in several areas including literature, language, communications, and composition studies, or for a career in business, industry, government, teaching, or communications—in any field, in other words, that values a well-educated person capable of analytical, critical, and creative thinking, writing, and speaking.
You can take your RMPC degree as a four-year honours degree or a four-year general degree. Click on the links below to see the program requirements for each option.
Four-year honours degree
You have a number of options for your honours RMPC degree, depending on your interests and goals:
- You can take your degree in regular or co-op mode.
- You can take your degree as a stand-alone or joint honours degree or as a part of an Honours Arts and Business degree.
- You can combine your honours degree with one of our specializations in creative writing, digital media studies, global literatures, or technical writing.
To be enrolled in an Honours English degree, students must maintain an average of 70% in their English courses and a 60% overall average.
Four-year general degree
If a student's average does not meet the requirements for an honours degree, the student can still continue in his or her program by pursuing a four-year general English degree majoring in RMPC. Students in the four-year general degree have access to all the same courses as honours students, but do not participate in co-op or graduate with a specialization.
Want more information?
The English undergraduate office is located in Hagey Hall room 251.