All computing and related equipment purchases in Environment are handled by MAD. We strongly recommend that faculty and staff in the Faculty of Environment consult with Mary Burden, Technical & Client Services Manager, concerning new computer equipment purchases including servers, workstations, laptops, tablets, and related peripheral equipment and accessories so that we can ensure it is compatible with the university’s infrastructure.
MAD can and will assist our faculty and staff members in specifying, selecting, purchasing, and configuring new computers bought through a valid university account for academic needs.
All clients who are ready to make a purchase should submit a Request Tracker (RT) ticket to MAD requesting the new computer. Please include as much detailed information as possible (e.g., Windows or Mac) and the university work order number being charged.
If you have funding deadlines, please make sure that you allow an appropriate amount of time for the purchase to go through the financial system.
Please make sure to indicate if you are planning to pay for your purchase under the Faculty Professional Expense Reimbursement Plan. There may be some hardware/software that we cannot assist in purchasing.
Once MAD has received the new computer, we will set it up as per the specifics in the request and then arrange delivery to the client. Newly ordered computers can take up to 4-6 weeks to arrive and be imaged with the required software.
MAD will work with the client to address specific requirements.
- In order to ensure that we meet all university procurement procedures and licensing requirements, MAD will only support computers that are purchased on a valid university account and that meet the campus network standards.
- Supported computers (currently Dell Canada & Apple Canada) will be configured to connect to the campus wired and/or wireless networks in order to be compliant with campus security policies. The university has negotiated pricing with Dell to get the lowest total cost available for Windows systems and can obtain educational pricing with Apple.
- MAD will manage your device so that deployed applications can be automatically updated and Microsoft patches can be installed through SCCM. Having your device managed severely reduces any security concerns.
- All new computers will be configured with a baseline standard set of software which includes a current university supported operating system and current version of Microsoft Office. Software not included in the baseline standard is installed when requested and properly licensed (e.g., Adobe Acrobat Professional). MAD will assist clients in the procurement of university licensed software when applicable.
- When possible, MAD will assist in the deployment of non-standard software. Clients will be asked to provide installation media/licensing for non-standard software.
- MAD will not install ArcGIS software on non-managed computers.
Please contact Mary Burden with any questions or comments you may have about these services.
Important: If you choose to buy a computer not endorsed by MAD, then any installation of software is your responsibility. University-owned computers are entitled to various software licensed through the Information Systems & Technology (IST) Webstore.
Who can use this service: