For faculty, staff, teaching assistants (TAs) and sessional instructors:
- Store all materials containing student information, including grades, directly on LEARN. If that is not possible, then store that material on the University provided N: drive. Do not store these types of materials on personal computing or storage devices. N: drives are accessible from on and off campus to faculty, staff and TAs, and it is regularly and automatically backed up.
- Alternative storage options, such as cloud storage, are possible, but only if IST recommendations on cloud storage are followed.
- Email correspondence that needs preserving (for potential legal purposes) is best preserved in a separate folder on Outlook (watch the YouTube video on managing folders), not saved as individual files or via personal storage table (.pst) files.
Campus and faculty resources
- Information and Privacy
- Information and Privacy guidelines
- Faculty of Environment privacy guidelines
- University of Waterloo Classification and Records Retention Schedule (WatCLASS)
Applicable policies and guidelines
- Policy 46: Information Management
- Policy 8: Information Security
- Policy 12: Records Management
- Policy 13: Archives
- Policy 19: Access To and Release of Student Information
- Guidelines for Managing Student Information for Faculties, Academic Departments and Schools
Who can use this service:
- Current undergraduate students
- Current graduate students