Achievements and progress to date
Here is how we're implementing each strategic goal in our plan:
A timeline of our most recent achievements and progress:
- Goal 1: Be Canada's leader in environmental and sustainability education.
- To build capacity in new program development, as Associate Dean of Strategic Initiatives, Johanna Wandel, was appointed in 2020.
- As part of our commitment to extending environmental and sustainability education on campus in partnership with others, the School of Environment Enterprise and Development partnered with the School of Accounting and Finance in Arts to develop a new undergraduate degree program, the Bachelor of Sustainability and Financial Management, with its first intake class expected in 2022. In addition, some Environment courses are included as ‘context electives’ in the Indigenous Entrepreneurship Minor and Diploma, which was developed by St. Paul’s and the Faculty of Arts in 2020.
- As part of our commitment to increase our involvement in non-traditional educational activities, the Faculty is leading discussion about the possible creation of a Collaborative Climate Change graduate program and is exploring the developing of lifelong/executive training related to climate change.
- Goal 2: Achieve increased impact through national and global leadership in environmental and sustainability research.
- We remain committed to being at the forefront of defining and framing emergent environmental and sustainability problems that require an interdisciplinary approach. The development of a new BSc in Climate and Environmental Management in Geography and Environmental Management, which combines depth in environmental science with courses on societal adaptation, energy and sustainability, climate services, climate justice, low-carbon economies, and climate change communication, is expected to accept its first cohort in 2022.
- Goal 3: Demonstrate an ethos of caring in all that we do.
- As part of our commitment to continually review student-facing roles to ensure excellent academic support, Environment participated in the “Enhancing Undergrad Advising Project” with the Student Success Office. Recommendations were received in 2020 and will be responded to throughout 2021.