Interested in economics for humans and the planet?
We want to invite you to the Rethinking Economics Waterloo Conference happening at St. Paul's University College on Saturday, February 7. Register here.
This is a part of a global movement of students calling for pluralism in the economics discipline in the anthropocene, after the great financial meltdown and during a time of huge economic inequality. This is a local kick-off for a conversation that's already happening worldwide about methodological, disciplinary and theoretical pluralism in the study of economies.
The speakers include:
- Dr. John Bonnett – Canada Research Chair Digital Humanities, Brock University
- Dr. Daniel Drache – Professor of Political Science & Canadian Studies, York University
- Dr. Peter Victor – Professor of Economics, York University
- Dr. Jennifer Clapp – Canada Research Chair Global Food Security, uWaterloo
- Dr. Lutz-Alexander Busch – Associate Undergraduate Chair of Economics, uWaterloo
- Joe Mancini – Director of the Working Centre, Kitchener
- Dr. Patricia Marino – Professor of Philosophy, uWaterloo
The Rethinking Economics Waterloo Conference is all about asking if, how, and why economics can and should be rethought. The event is being held thanks to the generous support of the Faculty of Environment, Economics Department, Philosophy Department, Department of Knowledge Integration, and the Waterloo Environment Students' Endowment Fund. The event is open to the public as well as students and faculty of all disciplines. If you're interested in learning more about the dismal science, come!
More information on the global Rethinking Economics movement:
Rethinking Economics is a global “grassroots” network of students, thinkers, and citizens who seek to give voice to new and marginalized economics narratives that could enrich economic theory, research, and teaching. Rethinking Economics aims to make economics more accessible, diverse, reflective and responsible for the public eye and within academia. Recently, Rethinking Economics has been mentioned in the news for its membership in the International Student Initiative for Pluralism in , Economics (ISIPE), Al Jazeera for its recent London, UK Conference as well as the New York Times following the Rethinking Economics Conference in New York City.
190 Westmount Road North
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G5