You are here

International exchanges

Travel to another country. Broaden your knowledge. Learn to adapt to different environments and situations. Improve your language skills.

There are countless benefits to doing an international exchange.

See the list of institutions where you can study as part of your Environment degree.

Short-term summer programs are denoted by "summer" under the term column in the list of institutions. Summer programs are shorter in duration and usually focus on language and culture. A maximum of 1.5 units can be transferred back to Waterloo which may count as elective credit towards your degree requirements. An overall cumulative average of 70% is required to participate in a short-term summer program.

For more information regarding outgoing exchanges, visit the Student Success Office website.

Who should apply?

Students who participate in exchanges have a keen interest in other countries and cultures, enjoy a change of routine, and are able to adapt easily to different circumstances.

To be accepted for an exchange, you must have at least a 70% overall cumulative average, be in satisfactory standing for your program, be proficient in the language of instruction at the host university. For exchanges to Australia, an overall cumulative average of 75% is required.

Students who are in "Conditional Standing" will not be considered for an exchange.

Exchanges normally take place in a students 3A and/or 3B term.

How do I apply?

Visit the Student Success Office website for application information and other processes. To finalize your application, faculty, department and co-op (if applicable) approvals are required.

Selection procedures should be done well ahead of time, so think about exchange opportunities in your first year, especially if a second language is required to participate.


Application deadline is November 1 for studies beginning the following September and January. A complete list of application deadlines is available on the Student Success Office website.

Study at a host university may be for either one or two terms depending on the terms of agreement.

Am I paired with a student at a different university?

Unlike some exchanges where Canadian students are paired with an international student who visits Canada, exchanges at Waterloo are essentially one way. You study internationally but are not responsible for hosting an "exchange partner" or international student who comes to Waterloo to study.