Financing your exchange

For international exchanges, you pay your normal tuition fees to Waterloo prior to departure. There is no extra tuition charged for participating in an exchange program.

While studying abroad, you're responsible for any extra studying costs (e.g., books, lab fees, etc.), travel expenses, passport and visa arrangements, accommodations, food and all other living expenses, including health care.

Costs of living abroad may vary considerably, but is often not significantly higher than living in Canada. Working abroad is not associated with the exchange program; therefore, you must have adequate financial support.

Funding available to Environment students


International experience awards

The University of Waterloo, in support of international studies, offers a number of awards and bursaries. You can apply for all international experience awards by completing one application. Once complete, bring to the Student Awards & Financial Aid Office in Needles Hall. Application deadline info is provided on the application.