Registration is now closed for this year's event.
University of Waterloo TD Discovery Day in Health Sciences is presented in partnership with The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame, and is a day of hands-on workshops to help grade 10 and 11 high school students explore the wide variety of careers in the field of health sciences.
This year’s event features a keynote lecture from Waterloo Applied Health Sciences alumnus and physician, Dr. David Wilson. Dr. Wilson specializes in treating marginalized populations in Vancouver, and through his volunteer work with Remote Medical Area Volunteers and Doctors Without Borders, has brought health care to some of the world’s most isolated populations.
Using examples from his travels abroad and his work at home, Dr. Wilson’s lecture “Prescription for success: Is a career in health care right for you?” will examine what characteristics make a good health care provider and why one of the most demanding and high-pressure career paths is ultimately rewarding.
The day wraps up with a career panel featuring Waterloo alumni, staff, and faculty working in the field of health sciences.
- Surinder Budwal (BSc '00) – Athletic Therapist
- Dr. Michelle Cali (BSc' 06) – Naturopathic Doctor
- Nick Frank (BSc '11) – Graduate Student, Department of Kinesiology at University of Waterloo
- Dr. George Heckman (MMath ’91) - Associate Professor / Schlegel Research Chair in Geriatric Medicine / Doctor of Medicine
- Robyn Ibey (BSc' 07) – Registered Physiotherapist, PhD Candidate at the University of Waterloo
- Melissa Knott (BSc '06) – Occupational Therapist
- Julie Napolskikh (BSc' 08) – Medical Student, 2013 MD Candidate at the University of Toronto
- Madeleine Noble (BSc '07) – Certified Exercise Physiologist
- Sandra Gibson, Manager of Health Education at the University of Waterloo
- Susanne Kish (BSc ’93), System Integration & Validation Specialist, Clinical Applications
- Andy Hong (MPH ’12, BSc ’03), Public Health Inspector
- Tammy Scott (BSc ’93), Kinesiologist and co-owner of Great Lakes Physiotherapy
For full details, including the day’s itinerary and workshop descriptions, visit The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame’s University of Waterloo TD Discovery Day in Health Sciences website.
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1