Do you love celebrating and learning about culture? Drop by the International Fair to learn about games, activities, traditions, and celebrations from different cultures!
Hosted in partnership with the Federation of Students as part of International Celebrations Week, "BASE Rep" student volunteers from the Bridge to Academic Success in English (BASE) program will be participating in the International Fair open to all UWaterloo students on Wednesday, March 9 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Life Centre.
What is happening at the event?
The BASE Rep volunteers will be hosting activity stations where they will teach you about their native culture and some games, activities, traditions, history, and celebrations that are unique to their home country.
In addition, many cultural groups on campus will also be participating:
- The International and Canadian Student Network and the UW Language and Culture Exchange Club can tell you about opportunities to get involved with other international students on campus.
- International Student Experience will be available to talk about international advising services and workshops available, in addition to how you can volunteer with their International Student Programs, International Peer Community and Global Representatives.
- St. Jerome’s Beyond Borders will be present to speak about their international service learning program and how you can give back in communities such as Cusco, Peru or Nairobi, Kenya.
- Waterloo International will showcase opportunities to study abroad as well as answer questions about how you can earn a Global Experience Certificate by building your cross-cultural experience.
- Considering a co-op abroad? Co-operative Education will be available to answer any questions you have.
- Renison International will be available to talk about its programs, as well as its English Conversation Partner program.
What is a BASE Rep?
The BASE Reps are a volunteer committee of English Language Learner students from the Bridge to Academic Success in English (BASE) program. BASE Rep volunteers work to build their English language skills while developing their leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills by planning events and activities on campus.
For more information
To learn more about the event, contact Janessa Good, Special Events Coordinator, Federation of Students. To learn more about other International Celebrations Week events, visit the Feds Facebook page.
To learn more about the BASE program and BASE Rep volunteers, please contact Ryan Connell, Coordinator, International Student Experience (BASE), Student Success Office.