- Features of hydro developments, including the importance of hydrology and site topography, the types of hydro development concepts, and run-of-river vs storage developments.
- Comparison with other renewables, including variability and availability, predictability and diversity of energy production, and energy storage.
- Contribution to Grid, including rapid dispatch, frequency stabilization, dispersion of generation sources and the potential to provide "virtual" storage.
- Challenges to hydro, specifically the size of plant footprint, the impact on flow regime, the environmental effects (both negative and positive), the socio-economic effects, and the regulatory regime.
- Finally, Phil will examine the question "is hydro sustainable?"
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1