In 2014, the Library piloted the implementation of Excellence Canada’s Excellence, Innovation, and Wellness (EIW) Standard at the Bronze (first) level. Since then, eight units have successfully integrated the EIW Standard at the Bronze or Silver levels:
- Faculty of Applied Health Sciences (Bronze, January 2016)
- Faculty of Mathematics (Bronze, January 2016)
- Information Systems & Technology (Bronze, in progress)
- Office of the President (Silver, January 2016)
- Office of the Vice-President Academic and Provost (Silver, November 2016)
- Organizational & Human Development (Silver, November 2016)
- Human Resources (Silver, November 2016)
- Library (Bronze, October 2014; Silver, April 2017)
The University of Waterloo has begun the integration of the Excellence Canada's Excellence, Innovation, and Wellness (EIW) Standard across the University as a national quality standard against which to enable organizational excellence, innovation and wellness. The overarching goal of the university-wide initiative is to advance the University’s Strategic Plan and eight strategic themes and, in particular, the Robust Employer-Employee Relationship theme.
Over the next months, the University will be conducting a preliminary assessment of five key areas: leadership, planning, service to students, people engagement, and process management. This will enable the Excellence Canada Advisory Committee to consider your feedback, address any institution-wide gaps that are identified, and develop supporting initiatives to benefit the University community as a whole.
The University’s Excellence Canada Advisory Committee will be asking employees to complete a survey and participate in focus groups:
- The survey will be launched on May 8 and will be open for two weeks, closing May 21. On May 8, all permanent employees and those individuals with contracts of more than one year will receive an email with a link to the survey. The survey includes 35 questions and will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. Paper copies will be provided to employees without access to a computer.
- Focus groups will be held during the weeks of June 19 and 26 on the topics of leadership, planning, service to students, people engagement, and process management. Beginning June 5th, employees can sign up to participate on the University’s Excellence Canada website.
The Excellence Canada Advisory Committee will use employee feedback gathered from the survey and focus groups to understand the University’s strengths and areas of opportunity in relation to the Excellence, Innovation and Wellness (EIW) Standard and to inform how the University moves forward to integrate this standard.
For more information, contact any member of the University’s Excellence Canada Advisory Committee.