Centre for Extended Learning (CEL)
East Campus 3 (EC3)
195 Columbia St. W.
Online exam proctoring with an American company called ProctorU is being used by several courses in Spring 2020.
ProctorU is an online proctoring service that allows you to take your exam from a location of your choosing, within a period specified by your instructor. It monitors you during your exam via your webcam and records activities on your computer. You should understand that:
- there is no fee to use the service. If you object to writing your exam with an online proctoring service, please contact your instructor
- when the exam is activated, you will receive detailed instructions on how to create an account with ProctorU and schedule your exam from your instructor
- during the startup process you will be required to show a photo Watcard and/or government issued photo identification. Please ensure you are in a quiet and private area when you take your exam.
- your instructor, TA, or other designated Waterloo staff members may observe your exam session
- your exam will be recorded and stored for up to 14 months on servers maintained by ProctorU.
- ProctorU has been reviewed under Waterloo's rigorous Privacy and Security audit.
ProctorU is available 24/7. Please visit and review the ProctorU test-taker resource center if you have questions.
|Webcam||640x480 resolution||1280x720 resolution|
|PC Users||Windows Vista||Windows 10 (10 S not supported)|
|Mac Users||Mac OS X 10.5 or higher||Mac OS x 10.13 High Sierra|
|Internet Download Speed||.768 Mbps||1.5 Mbps|
|Internet Upload Speed||.384 Mbps||1 Mbps|
|RAM||1024 MB||2 GB|
|Connectivity Ports||1935, 843, 80, 443, 61613, UDP/TCP||1935, 843, 80, 443, 61613, UDP/TCP|
Before you register with ProctorU, you should confirm your computer meets the minimum requirements to work with their system. You will also need:
- microphone and speakers (not a headset)
- photo WatCard or government issued photo ID
- access to your course in LEARN
- the current version of your browser and have downloaded the ProctorU extension for Chrome or Firefox.
You should expect the startup process with the proctor to take about 10-15 minutes. However, this time will not affect your exam time. You should also review their exam readiness guide. Please feel free to direct any questions to the ProctorU test taker support team via the live chat within your account.
Statutory and Policy Requirements
Under the authority of the University of Waterloo Act, 1972, the University gathers and maintains information used for the purposes of admission, registration, and other fundamental activities related to being a member of the University community and enrolled in a public post-secondary institution located in the province of Ontario, Canada. The information collected and used for online proctoring is related directly to and needed by the University for the purpose of administering online exams and maintaining the academic integrity of the exam process.
Questions or Concerns
For questions specific to online proctoring in relation to your course, please speak with your instructor.
General questions about remote proctoring at Waterloo should be emailed to the Centre for Extended Learning.
Questions about personal information and privacy at the University, or about our responsibilities under Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation, should be directed to the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about Information and Privacy.