The 2020 FAUW Board of Directors elections are coming up. Here's what you need to know, as a voter or a candidate.
What are we voting on?
The election is for:
- one representative from each of the six Faculties, elected by FAUW members in that Faculty, for two-year terms starting July 1, 2020
- one at-large representative, elected by and from all FAUW members, for a one-year term starting July 1, 2020
The Board oversees all FAUW functions, including policy development, salary negotiations, the protection of member rights, and events and services for members.
Directors are expected to stay current on issues before the Board, and to attend biweekly Board meetings on Thursday afternoons from September through June and 4–6 other FAUW meetings or events per year. Typically, a board member will also assume a leadership role on a particular matter within the Board mandate that is of personal interest, which Faculty members might find to be a desirable way to fill their service requirement. The total time commitment for a new Board member is around three hours per week for the September–June period.
It is important to a well-functioning Board that we have representation from the full diversity of faculty members at the University of Waterloo.
- For a more formal statement of Board governance and responsibilities, please see the FAUW Constitution and our Memorandum of Agreement with the University.
- See "So you're thinking about running for the FAUW Board..." for more information on what it’s like to be on the Board.
- Read "The FAUW Board: A great way to get started in collegial governance" on our blog.
- Attend the FAUW Service Opportunities information session on March 5.
- Fill out a nomination form (PDF).
- Get it signed by three voting members of FAUW (they don't all need to be from your Faculty).
- Submit it to FAUW by March 13 at 4:30 p.m, along with a 200-word candidate statement that includes a record of your FAUW service (if any) and a headshot.
Can I nominate someone else?
There is no way to nominate someone without their participation, but if you know someone you think would make a good Board member, you can encourage them to run (share this page with them!) and then sign their nomination form.
When do we vote?
Voting will open March 23. Eligible voters will receive a link to the online poll that morning. The poll closes at 1:00 pm on April 3.
The results will be announced at the Spring General Meeting on April 7.
Faculty and librarians at Waterloo and its Affiliated and Federated Institutions who have opted in to membership in the Faculty Association are eligible to run, nominate candidates, and vote, except for faculty and librarians who have voting membership in the Renison Association of Academic Staff.
Not a member yet? Join now.
Candidates: Please join by the time you submit your nomination form. Please ensure your nominators are also voting members.
Voters: Please join by March 15. Due to the technical requirements of setting up the online poll, only members as of March 15, 2019 can be included in the online poll. Paper ballots will be available upon request for voters unable to join by March 15.