Official policy documents
- Faculty Association of the University of Waterloo (FAUW) Constitution
- Memorandum of Agreement between FAUW and the university
- Policy 3 - sabbatical and other leaves for faculty members
- Policy 76 - faculty appointments
- Policy 77 - tenure and promotion of faculty members
- Faculty professional expense reimbursement plan
Visit the University of Waterloo Secretariat website to view all university policies.
Resources for navigating policy
Most faculty members find university policies relatively confusing to follow. The Academic Freedom & Tenure (AF&T) Committee has prepared a number of resources to help you navigate these policies and the Memorandum of Agreement.
- Policy commentaries and keyword guides (available on this page)
- An overview of the principles of natural justice (used by committees making decisions about promotion, tenure and discipline, among other things)
- Presentation slides from the annual Contract Renewal, Tenure, & Promotion workshops.
- A summary of faculty leave policies (PDF), courtesy of the Status of Women & Equity Committee and Human Resources.
The AF&T Committee has prepared guides for policies relevant to probationary and tenured faculty, and for the part of the Memorandum of Agreement that covers performance evaluation.
The keyword versions allow you to click on keywords or concepts and go directly to their location within the policies.
The commentaries provide a guided tour and valuable insight into the application of policies. You will be prompted for your WatIAM credentials in order to access the commentary.
Note: We are in the process of updating these resources and making them more accessible. If you are unable to access the commentary, please email Erin Windibank to request a PDF version.
For probationary faculty
Policy 3 addresses the special sabbatical provisions for probationary faculty.
Policy 76 governs a number of issues relating to hiring. For present purposes, you will need to refer to it in relation to the renewal of your probationary contract.
Policy 77 is the primary university policy that relates to the awarding of tenure. It is the main document you will need to refer to for an understanding of what is expected of you and the processes that must be followed in order to be awarded tenure.
For tenured faculty
Policy 77 is the primary university policy that relates to the awarding of tenure and of promotion to full professor. It is the main document you will need to refer to for an understanding of what is expected of you and the processes that must be followed in order to make the promotion decision.
Faculty performance evaluation
The Memorandum of Agreement is the primary university document that relates to member performance evaluation. It is the main document you will need to refer to in order to understand the process.
Note: These are not official university documents, although Policies 76 and 77 without the search function are the official documents. The commentaries are intended to provide assistance and they reflect the opinions of those who have served on the AF&T Committee for some time and have observed how the policies work.
These documents are currently be re-evaluated and revised. If you have any comments or suggestions about any of the documents, we welcome your thoughts. In the meantime, please accept them as an attempt to clarify somewhat complicated policies.