Village 1 Multipurpose Room, 1:30-3:30

Attendees:

Jennifer Keir (Information Systems & Technology (IST)), Lisa Tomalty (IST/ACO), Bob Hicks (IST), Glenn Anderson (IST), Allan Fleming (Science), Carl Nagel (Library), Will Lewis (IST), Chris Roth (Math Faculty Computing Facility (MFCF)), Ashish Bhagat (St. Jerome's), Steve Carr (Eng), Reg Leland (IST/ENV), Lowell Williamson (AHS), Bernie Rutter (Env), Cheryl Skingley (Housing/IST), Reg Leland (IST/ENV), Stephen Markan (IST/Science), Trevor Grove (CSCF), Keith McGowan (Arts Computing Office (ACO)), Nitish Khiria (Housing/IST), Manfred Grisebach (IST), Bill Baer (Housing/IST), Kris Olafson (IST)

1. Approval of minutes

2. Various projects/initiatives in IST:

  • Mobile application strategy (Bill Baer)
    • have had meetings over last few weeks
    • looking for something for the fall
    • working with STAC (Student Advisory Committee)
    • could be student involvement in development
    • meet next week to finalize hopefully
    • we will discuss with Alan George & Bud Walker with respect to open data initiative
    • hope to bring in others
    • hope to be across as many platforms as possible
  • Active Directory (AD) project (Manfred Grisebach) (AD Consolidation February 7th 2012 (PDF))
    • lots has happened to combine domains
    • focusing on:
      • user objects: Waterloo Identity and Access Management (WatIAM) is  provisioning Nexus; will be another question/answer period (has been one already); if you have concerns or questions, email manfred@uwaterloo.ca and he will present them during this second question/answer period
    • Sean is still trying to assess faculty needs; one show stopper: home drives and profile drives are provisioning automatically in ads; WatIAM doesn't know how to provision unix file shares (only windows), so they are still looking at this (have unix host they are testing with); may have bare bones provisioning done and let faculties do other set up as required
    • as soon as we step back and look at situation: appears WatIAM does all or nothing tasks for home drives
    • WatIAM FAQ being developed based on first question/answer session
    • Group policy objects (GPOs): Nexus GPOs are the same as ADS GPOs for Academic Support staff today
      • security/eng comp/etc. looking at amalgamating these policies
    • Security groups
      • migrated from ADS to Nexus already; so should appear as previously
      • Migrations from ADS to Nexus: if someone has both a Nexus and an ADS account, will add ADS resources to Nexus account (some resources accept ADS credentials and some do not)
    • workstations
      • get clients involved, client services help
      • structure ready
      • try to make it automated and painless for user
      • some prep work happens a day or few days before
        • move workstation to Nexus overnight
        • log in with Nexus credentials next AM, then get new profile
        • so need to migrate important parts from ADS profile to Nexus profile
        • starting with IST staff to see how things go
        • they will need to consciously think of what they are accessing and if they need to authenticate via ADS or Nexus
        • manual intervention required for: printers, signatures, Dream Weaver sites, favourites
    • file shares:
      • one NetApp
      • migrating Applied Health Sciences (AHS), Environment (ENV), psychology to this NetApp
      • students will have accounts here as well
      • very fast
      • if performance degrades then we can easily move to another host if necessary
    • roaming profiles
      • apply new folder redirection: documents, favourites, desktop, pictures, music, videos
      • will move Windows XP profiles to Nexus
      • W7 workstations being changed from a local/roaming profile model to a folder redirection model. This means things that normally attached when a user logs in, will already be there on their N: drive. Also speeds up logoff because no synchronization required.
    • app servers
      • we currently have “293” windows app servers that Computing Systems Services (CSS) maintains
      • some will be Information System (IS) projects
      • some just an authentication change
      • unix servers auth to ADS will need to be migrated as well
      • exchange: tested more thoroughly
    • faculty work
      • only 30 computers under 'faculties' at top level OU to be moved
      • 452 security groups; can also delete containers as they are cleared, so top-level “Faculties” container can be deleted.
    • naming conventions: see AD Nexus Consolidation FACCUS Feb07 2012 (PDF) for naming OUs and security groups (name, space, -, space; eg: arts -
    • clean up what you can please
  • Content Management System (CMS) Update and Web Content Management System (WCMS) version 1.3 updates (Kris Olafson) (WCMS migration training (PDF))
    • WCMS project is no longer a project, but development work, etc. is ongoing
    • Eva has left IST to become the Director of Digital Initiatives (Communications & Public Affairs (CPA))
    • Chris Carignan is moving to CPA as well
    • Training/migration
      • drop in labs Mon-Fri, 1-4pm (can use own site or test sites); no registration is required; see Web Resources to see seats available
      • Skills for the Electronic Workplace (SEW) training courses (content maintainers, site admins)
      • migrations:
        • lots going on
        • web resources site has a lot of info on it regarding migrations
        • for support requests for functionality or a bug: go through rt; and put WCMS in the subject line
    • tech updates
      • all work is version tagged
      • at 1.3 now: image galleries, archive content ability, view pages as anonymous user (without logging out), new template for side bar, markup for Google for side bar info, usability improvements
      • next release, 1.4, coming in about 2 weeks: usability (linking inter pages; clone pages; paths recreated if moves within menu structure; RSS feeds, opening access to taxonomy to control vocabulary terms (except specific terms); events pull info from web resources site; will add geo data; checking for broken links site wide; request for unique functionality for specific sites (extra content types etc.), generic theme: for research institutes with other university affiliations, etc. and colleges, customize meta page title; launching a features server for others' on campus; Liam Morland is working on forms, security with respect to forms, education re: policy (and will have an extra role for forms so one will know who does the forms), forms will have validation has well (client and server side);
      • later :schedule content publishing; main University of Waterloo page launching with new look; new look will be applied to current sites
      • blogs: getting feedback from CPA first
      • newsletters and publications: looking at HTML equivalent to PDFs for accessibility
  • Housing Service Desk (types of questions, tools (e.g. chat), etc.) (Nitish Khiria)
    • 10 Resident Computer Consultant (RCC) staff
    • things have changed over years
    • 8:30-8:30 Mon-Fri, 12:30-8 :30 Sat/Sun
    • phone/email/chat/visit
    • PHP Live! chat support - hosted chat solution (~$200); can still chat if external link dies
    • wired and wireless support
    • auto testing of resnet; if we notice issues, we notify network support
    • Windows XP/7/8
    • basic hardware diagnostics/help; warrantee: refer back to manufacturer; try not to open laptops
    • smart phones/tablets - try to stay on top of this
    • about 60 staff members: hardware/software support
    • scheduling for helpdesk: WhenToWork.com website, public schedule, useful for students' co-op interviews, etc.; student staff need this flexibility
    • student staff: competitive pay (start at $14.50-$16.50) (65 applicants for 4 position); tech and soft skill training (4 days off site soft skills training with no internet and 1 day of tech training in-house); mentor soft skill environment
    • live chat: if off line, it emails someone instead
  • Extended hours helpdesk in Davis Centre Library (Nitish Khiria)
    • at DC circulation desk
    • evenings and weekends only (4:30-8:30 Mon-Fri, 12:30-8:30 Sat/Sun)
    • mostly directional questions now
    • Feb 17 - poster run to spread word
    • be better for people not to have to come all the way to housing for after hours help
  • Mathematica software (Sandra Laughlin) -topic not discussed

3. Remote support tools used (including chats, etc.) (Lisa Tomalty)

  • Bomgar
  • PHP Live! for chat

4. Outlook Web App (OWA) documentation (mail) (Lisa Tomalty)

5. Mail moves to connect (Lisa)

  • feedback: others have done this is various ways
  • suggestion from Cheryl: visit people ahead of time to add connect to their mailer and then each person has a staff contact person on day of (if needed)

6. Faculty/area updates

  • Stephen (Sharepoint)
    • 9-4 this Sunday Sharepoint will be down (note: this date has now past)
  • Science
    • pressured to move faculty and staff to connect
    • IST to provide some staff to help with this
    • Nexus: getting back to GPO production
    • Sarah Forgrave back in Science as the web person
  • Library
    • hired 2 new, 1 year contract positions for web development
    • library web site is the size of rest of campus' web space combined
    • moving map library from EV1 to what was Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE), at the beginning of the spring term
    • hoping to expand GIS service and workstations
    • refurbishing 10th floor study room
    • strategic review wrapping up in the summer
      • going out to talk with stakeholders
    • open journals systems project: to host an Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers (IEEE) affiliate journal, Canadian Journal of Disabilities studies; and new journal: Canadian Graduate Journal of Sociology and Criminology
    • Pascal/Eva - working on a project charter for : Digital Assets Management System
  • St. Jerome's
    • Richard Crispin is retiring; have hired replacement: Jake Kelly
    • AD: moving to folder redirection (my documents/pictures/favourites), moving to Windows 7 Pro
  • AHS
    • moved faculty/staff filespace to IST drive space for N:; issues corrected
    • will move student undergrad and grad student store as well
  • ENV
    • move to IST drive space for N: drives (like AHS); preparing that with Tim Farrell
    • web sites in new CMS with Don Duff-McCracken and new web person, Colin
    • new building: purchased digital signage system
    • moving into new server room in new building
  • Arts
    • Dawn Keenan hired as Vic's replacement as ACO manager
    • upgrading 2 labs to Windows 7 (issue with embedded sound driver - audio jacks didn't work so may replace sound cards)
    • new file server to house amalgamated artsfaculty and nexus stores and working on plan to migrate people
    • connect moves
    • Drupal for departments and small sites
  • Engineering
    • Nexus lab running Windows 7
    • had issues with not loading printers properly but good now
    • new profile server in Engineering running fine
    • new machine room: poised to implemented in E5; moving machines out of physics to this new machine room
  • Math/MFCF
    • new NetApps for student environment
    • Windows 7 Nexus lab
    • other labs are thin clients (Office, Windows 2008 server)
    • some printing issues sorted out
    • plans to move web site to drupal supposedly starting this month until summer-ish
    • moving to connect as people get new machines
    • Lisa to send plan to math for connect move
  • IST (Bob)
    • fix pro (Shawn Winnington-Ball) - for bulk mail; acknowledgment sent to new students from the University of Waterloo is flashy and mail is being flagged as spam (known issue working with Registrar's office on it)
    • Matlab (Will Lewis): moving license servers off of watserv1; started prep work a year ago
    • labview license renewed - encourage those using old versions to use new license server
  • CSCF
    • virtual machines being shared (Trevor Grove); students mailing virtual machines to each other
    • group wide conferencing software (web x , skype) looking at this; implications how to support
    • (Keith McGowan) people installing drop box and making profiles huge; could exclude drop box folder; on going issues; option: uWaterloo provide cloud services
    • looking at setting up own 'ifolder' server in CSCF
    • if relevant foreign investment promotion and protection agreement (FIPA) request, someone needs to have password to unencrypt
    • researchers need to share information with other researchers off campus (Sharepoint for viewing and generic password, or Sharepoint with eduroam credentials, or request wataim accounts)
  • Housing
    • Office 2010 deployment and training/support
    • computing training initiative for cleaning services staff
    • Virtual Private Network (VPN)
    • meeting rooms online
    • student/staff exchange calendar setup for meetings
    • mailing distribution lists for all different areas in housing (in place and working)
  • Other business
    • Friday morning seminars coming up:
      • Safe web browsing (Terry Lebach)
      • Physical security
      • WCMS update
    • Eudora to Outlook 2010 mail move work well