Unit4 is the University's new Financial System
NOTE: Emails for tasks and delivered reports from the system will come from UWUnit4@uwaterloo.ca. This is not SPAM. Please do not reply to this email address.
Password: your watiam password
*watiam is limited to a maximum of 8 characters
Note: As previously announced, the Account Lookup Tool has been deprecated as of December 31, 2017. Over the months since we went live with Unit4, it has become more and more out of date. It was intended only as a transitional tool.
If you are looking for a specific work order in the system, the available enquiries can provide this info. In particular, the Eligible Activities per Work Order enquiry can be used to search for org unit number or partial word search in the work order name (remember to use the wildcard *).
- Contact the Administrator for help (email)
- *NEW* Request New User be Added to Unit4 (Form requires authentication)
- *NEW* Request to Change User Information/Role or Deactivate a User (Form requires authentication)
- *NEW* Request for New Work Order (Form requires authentication)
- *NEW* Request to Change Work Order Information (Form requires authentication)
- Note: To request changes to the delegation of signing authority or reporting access for Research work orders please use the form(s) on the Office of Research website.
- *NEW* Request to change Hierarchy Reporting Access (Form requires authentication)
- Note: Reporting Access at the work order level is created/changed on the Work Order forms
- Link to HR's Detailed Salary and Scholarship Reporting Tool
Note: Employees will not automatically be set up as Users in the system. A request must be submitted to add the User to the system and provide the necessary access.
In October, for the September month end, the first Operating Fund and Research Fund month end delivered reports were emailed from the Unit4 financial system. Concurrent with the delivery of these September month end reports, a number of enquiries have also been made available that can provide similar, ad-hoc versions of this information or detailed subsets of this information. See the news article from October 6, 2017 for more information.
In November, for the October month end, the first Trust Fund delivered reports were emailed. Concurrent with this delivery, an additional related enquiry has been made available.
A Reporting Information/Instruction document has been prepared to outline the different reports and enquiries available, their purpose, the search criteria, and the reporting fields displayed for each.
Manuals and Documents
Training materials can be found on Finance's Training site in SharePoint (SharePoint login using nexus\WatIAM may be required).
See the SharePoint Chart of Accounts site for an explanation of the different attributes making up the Chart of Accounts.
Unit4 Training in person (myHRinfo)
Live training sessions for Requisitioning may periodically be made available for registration via myHRinfo.
Unit4 Training in LEARN
Training courses for Requisitioning and Non-PO Invoice coding/approval have been created and are available in LEARN for self-registration (link at the top of the LEARN screen). You must achieve a mark of 80% on the quizzes at the end of each course to receive completion credit. Please ensure you complete the quiz and click 'End Attempt' and 'Save' for the grade to be recorded.
- Finance - Introduction to Unit4
- Finance - Requisitioning in Unit4
- Finance - Non-PO Invoices in Unit4
- Finance - Customer Setup in Unit4
- Finance - Customer Invoicing in Unit4
Who cannot be set up as a User?
General access principles
The University’s financial control framework is based on several foundational elements including the proper segregation of duties, formal levels of authority, appropriate documentation, access controls, etc.
Specifically, access control to the University’s financial systems is limited to University employees who have the proper training, the delegated authority, and the corresponding employment responsibility to meet their fiduciary obligations to the institution. In this context, employees includes individuals with an ongoing, regular employment relationship with the University.
By limiting system access in this manner, the University significantly reduces the risk that members of the University community or the general public misinterpret the authority of individuals entrusted to access our systems.
Procurement and Requisitioning
Only University of Waterloo employees charging to University of Waterloo accounts are permitted to procure through the University. This is the position of the University in order to uphold and enforce sound financial practices and controls.
Individuals purchasing for organizations outside of the University will no longer be permitted to purchase items in the name of the University and have the University charged and pay for them. These items should be purchased under the outside organization's own procurement practices and charged directly to the outside organization.
Graduate students may be setup for requisitioning access only, at the request of their supervisor, but undergraduate students will not be granted access to the system.
Do not use the browser's "back" button while within the system. Navigate using the links within the system only.
All browsers are certified for use with Unit4, but as with any website, some browsers work faster than others. We found that both Chrome and Firefox worked more quickly than Internet Explorer during testing, particularly with respect to the Requisition screen.
- All browsers are certified for use with Unit4, but as with any website, some browsers work faster than others. We found that both Chrome and Firefox worked more quickly than Internet Explorer during testing. If you experience problems, you may first wish to try a previous version of the browser or a different browser to see if that fixes the issue.
- Ensure that you are using the appropriate log in credentials in the correct format:
- [your watiam]@nexus.uwaterloo.ca
- password: [your nexus/watiam password]
- your watiam should be truncated at 8-characters if it is longer