- Order a T2202A for 2008
- T4 and T4A
- Releve 8
- Bus (Upass) receipt
- Tax return preparation help
Your T2202A for the Winter, Spring and Fall terms in the previous calendar year are available on Quest by end of February each year. If you did not request a refund for the endowment fund contributions paid as part of your term incidental fees, you will also have access to a charitable donations receipt for your contributions during the year.
You can access your official T2202A Tuition, Education and Textbook Amount Certificate by visiting the Finances section on Quest. Go to Student Centre. Select Finances>My Account>Tax Receipts. Clicking the View button allows you to see the tax receipt information, but not the actual CRA-approved T2202A form. To generate the CRA-approved T2202A form, you need to:
- you cannot generate the official T2202A form while you are in the View screen.
- turn off your browser's popup blockers
- click the Print button to generate the PDF file.
It can take up to a minute for the PDF form to generate. An Adobe Acrobat Reader application is required to read the PDF form. You can then print the form on your own printer.
If you are having problems printing your tax receipt
The CRA-approved online tax receipt form has been tested successfully in Internet Explorer 10, Firefox, Chrome and Safari internet browsers, but it is possible that your computer's browser is set up in a way that will require additional adjustments so you can see or print the form.
If you click Print and get this error message "If IE indicates your download has been blocked, permit the download by clicking on its Information Bar and selecting Download File", you need to look for the T2202A in your Downloads folder.
If you have already clicked Print and can see the pdf T2202A, but you are using Internet Explorer as your browser and get an error message when you try to print the pdf:
on your browser, click Print OR click on the printer icon that appears in the pdf itself
- click on the "Advanced" button
- check the "Print as Image" box
- click "OK"
- click "Print"
3. If you click Print and get this error message "File not found or file received has length zero", follow these instructions:
- on your browser, click "tools"
- click "internet options"
- click on the "security" tab
- click on the "custom level" button
- find "downloads"
- then "automatic prompting for file downloads"
- make sure the "enable" button is selected
- click "OK"
- click "apply"
- you should now be able to access your T2202A
If you are having trouble logging in or activating your WatIAM ID for your Quest account, please send an email with the following information:
- Your first and last (family) name
- Your Faculty program
- Your date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy) make sure you use all the numbers
- Your uWaterloo Student ID number
What is included in the tax receipt amount
T2202A amounts are calculated as follows:
- Undergraduate students-- The amount indicated on the form includes charges to registered students for Tuition, Student Services fee, Health Services Building fee, Co-op and Work Report Marking fees (if applicable).
- Graduate students-- The amount indicated on the form includes charges to registered students for Tuition, Student Services fee, Health Services Building fee, Co-op fee (if applicable). Research graduate programs are assessed full-time education months, regardless of academic load.
- All other fees charged to your student account are not eligible to be included on a receipt for tax purposes.
Once you are a registered student, you become legally obligated for the fees charged to your student account. Therefore, your T2202A will reflect all eligible fees charged to your student account (listed above), regardless of whether they have been paid in full or remain outstanding.
You do not need to submit a printed copy of your T2202A form with your tax return, even if you transfer the amount to a parent. You only need a printed copy of your T2202A if one is requested by the Canada Revenue Agency as part of a formal audit, or if you have a professional preparing your tax return.
You may find these Step-by-Step Instructions helpful.
Address information on the T2202A form cannot be changed once the form is available on Quest. The financial information on the form is still valid and CRA will accept the form regardless of the address information. Always be sure to keep your address information on Quest up-to-date.
- Canada Revenue Agency requires us to provide past information for "six years from the end of the last tax year". In 2015, for calendar years prior to 2009 you can order a duplicate receipt for 2008 only. Students or former students who require a tax receipt for 2008 may request the form at a fee of $10.00.
- We cannot provide tax information by e-mail or over the phone.
- You can place your order by sending us an e-mail. In the subject line of your e-mail, please enter "2008 tax receipt".
- Do not provide credit card information by e-mail. Our staff will respond to your e-mail with further instructions.
- To place your order over the phone using a credit card, please call 519-888-4567 X38466. You will be asked to leave contact information so our staff can call you back to take your order.
- To place an order by mail, send your request along with a certified cheque, money order or bank draft to
Room 1110 Needles Hall, University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. W.,
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
- You can place your order in person at our office using debit card, credit card or cash.
Note to international students:
University of Waterloo is required to provide T2202A information to all students to enable them to complete their Canadian tax returns. Contact a tax professional to determine whether you need to file a Canadian tax return and/or a tax return in your country of origin.
The charges for residence and meal plan are not eligible fees for tax purposes. On Line 6114 (Student Residences) of your income tax return, tick the box to claim $25 as your occupancy cost for the part of the year you lived in residence. We do not issue a tax receipt for residence fee or meal plan payments.
The RL-8 slip is a tax form of the Ministère du Revenu du Québec and is intended only for Quebec residents. Please visit or e-mail the Student Accounts Office to request your RL-8 form.
Although University of Waterloo does not issue 1098T tax receipts, US students can use the T2202A to file their US tax return.
The Co-operative Education department provides this contact for advice on US filing:
- Get help from a tax accountant who works with the U.S. tax system, like Dube & Associates. Peter Cuttini ,CA, CPA is a graduate of Waterloo’s Accounting program and is willing to assist Waterloo co-op students with U.S.A tax returns for a reduced fee.
- If interested contact Peter by email, or call him at 519-772-0990.
T4s and T4As are available online by logging in to myHRinfo on the Human Resources website, using your Quest username and password.
For information regarding T4s (tax receipts for income earned from University of Waterloo) and T4As (tax receipts for scholarship, bursary and award funding) please contact Human Resources. Note that the Human Resources database is separate and distinct from the Quest database. If your address has changed, you need to update the address information in each database.
You may print a receipt for tax purposes for the bus pass fee included in FedofStdnts Administered Fees for the past year by visiting the FEDS website.
Receipts for the bus pass fee included in the GSA Administered Fees for the past year are available on the GSA website.
For information about annual tax information and tax return preparation events on-campus:
The Accounting & Finance Student Association Tax Clinic happens each March. Please watch for information on dates, times and locations.
If you have missed these events and still have questions about your tax return, please contact a tax specialist near you.