You are here

Tax Receipts


Your T2202A for the Winter, Spring and Fall terms in the previous calendar year are available on Quest by the end of February each year. If you did not request a refund for the endowment fund contributions paid as part of your term incidental fees, you will also have access to a charitable donation receipt for your contributions during the year.

You can access your official T2202A Tuition, Education and Textbook Amount Certificate by visiting the Finances section of your Quest account. Go to Student Centre and select Finances>My Account>Tax Receipts. Clicking the View button allows you to see the tax receipt information, but not the actual CRA-approved T2202A form. To generate the CRA-approved T2202A form, you need to:

  1. Be outside the View screen (you cannot generate the official T2202A form while you are in that screen);
  2. Turn off your browser's popup blockers; and,
  3. Click the Print button to generate the PDF file.

It can take up to a minute for the PDF form to generate. An Adobe Acrobat Reader application is required to read the PDF form. You can then print the form on your own printer.

Return to top

If you are having problems printing your tax receipt

The CRA-approved online tax receipt form has been tested successfully in Internet Explorer 10, Firefox, Chrome and Safari internet browsers, but it is possible that your computer's browser is set up in a way that will require additional adjustments so you can see or print the form.

  1. If you click Print and get the error message "If IE indicates your download has been blocked, permit the download by clicking on its Information Bar and selecting Download File", you need to look for the T2202A in your Downloads folder.

  2. If you have already clicked Print and can see the pdf T2202A, but you are using Internet Explorer 10 as your browser and get an error message when you try to print the pdf, you will need to download Adobe Reader XI and make it the default program for displaying pdf documents in the browser.  You should then be able to print the document.

  1. If you click Print and get the error message "File not found or file received has  length zero", follow these instructions:
  • On your browser, click "Tools",
  • Click "Internet Options",
  • Click on the "Security" tab,
  • Click on the "Custom Level" button
  • Find "Downloads"
  • Then "Automatic prompting for file downloads"
  • Make sure the "Enable" button is selected
  • Click "OK"
  • Click "Apply"

You should now be able to access your T2202A

If you are having trouble logging in or activating your WatIAM ID for your Quest account, please send an email with the following information:

  • Your first and last (family) name
  • Your Faculty program
  • Your date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy) make sure you use all the numbers
  • Your uWaterloo Student ID number

Return to top

What is included in the tax receipt amount?

T2202A amounts are calculated as follows:

  • Undergraduate students-- The amount indicated on the form includes charges to registered students for Tuition, Student Services fee, Health Services Building fee, Co-op and Work Report Marking fees (if applicable).
  • Graduate students-- The amount indicated on the form includes charges to registered students for Tuition, Student Services fee, Health Services Building fee, Co-op fee (if applicable). Research graduate programs are assessed full-time education months, regardless of whether you are enrolled full-time or part-time.
  • All other fees charged to your student account are not eligible to be included on a receipt for tax purposes.


Once you are a registered student, you become legally obligated for the fees charged to your student account. Therefore, your T2202A will reflect all eligible fees charged to your student account (listed above), regardless of whether they have been paid in full or remain outstanding.

You do not need to submit a printed copy of your T2202A form with your tax return, even if you transfer the amount to a parent. You only need a printed copy of your T2202A if one is requested by the Canada Revenue Agency as part of a formal audit, or if you have a professional preparing your tax return.

You may find these Step-by-Step Instructions helpful.

Address information on the T2202A form cannot be changed once the form is available on Quest. The financial information on the form is still valid and CRA will accept the form regardless of the address information. Always be sure to keep your address information on Quest up-to-date.

Return to top

T2202A receipts for calendar years prior to 2009

  • Canada Revenue Agency requires us to provide past information for "six years from the end of the last tax year". In 2016, tax receipts for years prior to 2009 are no longer available.

Note to international students:

University of Waterloo is required to provide T2202A information to all students to enable them to complete their Canadian tax returns. Contact a tax professional to determine whether you need to file a Canadian tax return and/or a tax return in your country of origin.

Return to top

Receipts for residence fees paid

Please see information on the Housing website.

Note to students who are residents of Quebec

The RL-8 slip is a tax form of the Ministère du Revenu du Québec and is intended only for Quebec residents. Please visit or e-mail the Student Accounts Office to request your RL-8 form.

Note to US students

Although University of Waterloo does not issue 1098T tax receipts, US students can use the T2202A to file their US tax return.

The Co-operative Education department provides this contact for advice on US filing:

  • Get help from a tax accountant who works with the U.S. tax system, like BDO Canada LLP. Peter Cuttini, CA, CPA is a graduate of Waterloo’s Accounting program and is willing to assist Waterloo co-op students with U.S.A tax returns for a reduced fee.
  • If interested contact Peter by email, or call him at 519-576-5220.

Return to top

T4's & T4A's:

T4s (for employment income) and T4As (for scholarship, bursary, award and GRS income) are available online by logging in to myHRinfo on the Human Resources website, using your Quest username and password.

For information regarding T4s (tax receipts for income earned from University of Waterloo) and T4As (tax receipts for scholarship, bursary and award funding) please contact Human Resources. Note that the Human Resources database is separate and distinct from the Quest database. If your address has changed, you need to update the address information in each database.

Return to top

Upass receipts

You may print a receipt for tax purposes for the bus pass fee included in FedofStdnts Administered Fees for the past year by visiting the FEDS website.

Receipts for the bus pass fee included in the GSA Administered Fees for the past year are available on the GSA website.

Tax return preparation help for students

For information about annual tax information and tax return preparation events on-campus:

  • The Accounting & Finance Student Association Tax Clinic happens each March. Please watch for information on dates, times and locations.
  • Waterloo International

If you have missed these events and still have questions about your tax return, please contact a tax specialist near you.

Return to top

April 30, 2016 Fiscal Year End Notice

The April 30, 2016 fiscal year-end is approaching and it is important that all current year transactions are posted and reviewed in a timely manner.

We in Finance ask for your assistance in managing the year end workload by ensuring that transactions are caught up-to-date to help ease the influx of processing requests in March and April.