Nutrition on Campus
We recognize that each individual has their own needs and preferences when it comes to food. At UWFS we aim to satisfy our guests by offering a wide variety of choices and being transparent with our sourcing, ingredients, and nutrition symbols.
UW Food Services promotes Informed Choices by giving you, our guests, clear information about what ingredients we use, and what dietary needs each food option accommodates. Look for our nutrition symbols, including halal, vegan, vegetarian and made without gluten on ingredient labels, menu boards, and on-the-go sandwiches, wraps and salads.
If you’re not sure ingredients in a specific choice or where to find a dietary symbol, just ask! Our staff are happy to answer questions about any of our food options.
Our team is proud to Offer Local and Fresh Food, Support Balanced Choices on Campus, and Provide Credible Nutrition Information.
Local & fresh
UW Food Services supports of local and sustainable food offerings. Our chefs cook meals from scratch, using fresh fruits, vegetables, and proteins. You may have seen the Farm to Campus Fresh logo in some of our eateries, this campaign highlights some of our key pillars of nutritious and sustainable food offerings through 5 key messages.
Farm to Campus Fresh:
- We support as many as 75 local farmers
- We own and operate the Village Bakery, which supplies our cafes and eateries with fresh daily bagels, pastries and treats
- We provide plant-based options in all our cafes and eateries including a plant based menu at EV3
- Our Chefs use fresh local ingredients to create dishes that are prepared from scratch in our kitchens.
- We support our customer’s health by promoting fresh nutritious foods to the campus community.
Check out our sustainability page for more information on all our initiatives!
Balanced choices on campus
Our dietitian works closely with the culinary team to ensure menu options are flexible and meet a variety of needs.
One of the great things we do in all our residence eateries is offer a Food by Weight program. This allows each guest to customize their plate using both salad bar and steam table food. Go ahead and mix and match any combination you like! You’ll be amazed by the number of meals you can build. Food by weight helps you to choose portion sizes that are right for you.
We even have our own UW Balanced Plate, which aligns with healthy eating recommendations from Canada’s Food Guide. Learn more about the UW Balanced Plate here!
Check out these additional tips for making healthy choices in our eateries:
- EV3 offers a deliciious plant based menu of bowls and sandwiches.
- We have plant based, gluten free and halal options in our on-the-go lineup of salads, snack cups, sandwiches and wraps. Find these throughout our retail locations on campus.
- Every day we offer Halal, Vegetarian and Vegan hot entrees at the steam table.
- All our residence eateries include BYO (build your own) offerings that provide plant based and gluten free options!
Looking for a nutritious snack? We have healthy options in all our locations check out our page on Smart Snacking for all the details!
If you’re studying late at night keep an eye out for our Healthy Vending machines which offer round the clock better choices.
Credible nutrition information
Food, nutrition and wellness messaging is a big part of what we do everyday in Food Services, so naturally we strive to provide only credible and evidence based information to our customers! Our registered dietitian works closely with our whole department from marketing to our chefs, and everyone in between to make sure that all our content is nutritionally sound.
Nicole Pin is a Registered Dietitian and is responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining nutrition programming for Food Services with a focus on health and wellness for the student community.
She is a wonderful resource for students who wish to learn more about nutrition and informed eating.
You can learn more about her here!
Have additional questions about eating well or nutrition on campus? Our UW Dietitian has answers! Email Nicole at email@example.com.