Nutrition on Campus
We recognize that all customers have their own needs and preferences when it comes to food, and we aim to satisfy our customer by offering a wide variety of choices and being transparent with our sourcing, ingredients, and nutrition symbols.
UW Food Services promotes Informed Choices by giving you, our customers, clear information about what ingredients we use, and what dietary needs each food option accommodates. Look for our nutrition symbols, including halal, vegan, vegetarian and gluten free on ingredient labels, menu boards, and on-the-go sandwiches, wraps and salads.
If you’re not sure ingredients in a specific choice or where to find a dietary symbol, just ask! Our staff are happy to answer your questions about any of our food options.
Our team is proud to Offer Local and Fresh Food, Support Balanced Choices on Campus, and Provide Credible Nutrition Information.
Local & fresh
UW Food Services supports of local and sustainable food offerings. Our chefs cook fresh meals from scratch every single day, using fresh fruits, vegetables, and proteins. You may have seen the Farm to Campus Fresh logo in some of our eateries, this campaign highlights some of our key pillars of nutritious and sustainable food offerings through 5 key messages.
Farm to Campus Fresh:
- We support as many as 75 local farmers
- We own and operate the Village Bakery, which supplies our cafes and eateries with fresh daily bagels, pastries and treats
- We provide plant-based options in all our cafes and eateries including an all vegan menu at FRSH
- Our Chefs use fresh local ingredients to create dishes that are prepared from scratch in our kitchens.
- We support our customer’s health by promoting fresh nutritious foods to the campus community.
Check out our sustainability page for more information on all our initiatives!
Balanced choices on campus
Our dietitian works closely with the culinary team to ensure we offer options that are flexible and can accommodate our customer’s desires for nutritious and balanced meals and snacks.
One of the great things we do in all our residence eateries is offer a Food by Weight program. This allows each customer to customize their plate using both salad bar and steam table food. Go ahead and mix and match any combination you like! You’ll be amazed by the number of meals you can make. Food by weight helps you to choose portion sizes that are right for you.
We even have our own UW Balanced Plate, which aligns with healthy eating recommendations from Canada’s Food Guide. Learn more about the UW Balanced Plate here!
Check out these additional tips for making healthy choices in our eateries:
- FRSH offers a full plant based menu of salads, hot bowls and flatbreads. You can customize your salad bowls or hot bowls to be gluten free too!
- We have plant based, gluten free and halal options in our on-the-go lineup of salads, snack cups, sandwiches and wraps. Find these throughout our retail locations on campus.
- Every day we offer Halal, Vegetarian and Vegan hot entrees at the steam table.
- All our stations in residence eateries include BYO (build your own) offerings and we have plant based or gluten free options at all stations!
- Pizza: Gluten free pizza crust
- Creation Station: Gluten free noodles (or skip the grains and opt for vegetables and protein)
- Sandwich: Gluten free bread
- Burger: Gluten free bun or lettuce wrap
- Burrito: Try a burrito bowl with rice, protein and vegetables
- Pizza: Vegan cheeze and lots of veggie toppings
- Creation Station: tofu or beans
- Sandwich: Hummus or vegan cheeze
- Burger: Our very own homemade black bean burger or portebello burger, vegan mayo and vegan cheeze
- Burrito: Try a burrito with rice, beans and vegetables
For dietary options at any of our branded locations, like Tim Horton’s, Starbucks, Subway or Pita Pit, we encourage you to check the brand websites for the most up to date dietary and nutrition information.
Looking for a nutritious snack? We have healthy options in all our locations check out our page on Smart Snacks for all the deets!
If you’re studying late at night keep an eye out for our Healthy Vending machines which offer round the clock better choices.
Credible nutrition information
Food, nutrition and wellness messaging is a big part of what we do everyday in Food Services, so naturally we strive to provide only credible and evidence based information to our customers! Our registered dietitian works closely with our whole department from marketing to our chefs, and everyone in between to make sure that all our content is nutritionally sound. Check out our blog for regular updates and articles on food, nutrition & sustainability.
Nicole Pin is a Registered Dietitian and is responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining nutrition programming for Food Services with a focus on health and wellness for the student community.
She is a wonderful resource for students who wish to learn more about nutrition and informed eating.
You can learn more about her here!
Have additional questions about eating well or nutrition on campus? Our UW Dietitian has answers! Email Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org.